Outgoing Mail Port 25

chaddro

Hi All!

New VPS customer here! I have a quick question...

I just moved our company's website from bluehost to knownhost. When we were at bluehost, the outgoing mail port was configured to use port 26. Bluehost said that port 25 is often blocked as spam, and that it is an old default.

What are your thoughts? We have about 30 e-mail accounts, and we use Interspire's e-mail marketer for our marketing campaign.

Also, how do I change to the outgoing mail port to 26? I looked at the Exim and IMAP configuration in the webhost manager, but didn't see it there.

Thank you for your help and advice!

-chaddro

Hello chaddro and welcome to KH :D

What I believe your previous host meant to say is that ISPs will frequently block port 25 not that you need to. I am not even sure you can completely change SMTP from port 25 but you can enable it on another port in addition to 25.

To do this in WHM click on Service Manager under Service Configuration. At the bottom of the list is Exim on Another Port. Check both boxes and put 26 in the box for Run another copy of Exim on port. Click save and you're done!

Alternatively if your ISP is blocking port 25 you can use your ISP's mail server for your outgoing settings and they will still be sent from your domains.

Question for the mod: Maybe move this to one of the VPS forums? :)

Chaddro, I definitely must echo the words regarding your ISP potentially blocking port 25. When having issues with mail, that has been at the top of my list (though my ISP has kindly worked around that issue with me in the past).

However, whether it is port 25 or 26, you should have no issue with sending mail out through KnownHost as long as it complies with their TOS, which I would assume it does.

Oh, and of course, welcome to KnownHost!

Is there a way I can add a second nic with port 25 as outgoing instead of 26 i have a webapplication and it refuses to work with port 26
fix-error win-help info/DLL-Errors/error-loading-dll-specified-module-could-not-be-found/]error loading dll specified module could not be found

Is there a way I can add a second nic with port 25 as outgoing instead of 26 i have a webapplication and it refuses to work with port 26
fix-error win-help info/DLL-Errors/error-loading-dll-specified-module-could-not-be-found/]error loading dll specified module could not be found

As far as I'm aware, 25 is the default port, and you should be able to use it along with port 26. I believe using the exim on another port setting in WHM makes both ports work simultaneously.

As far as I'm aware, 25 is the default port, and you should be able to use it along with port 26. I believe using the exim on another port setting in WHM makes both ports work simultaneously.

This would be a correct statement. If you are having problems connecting on port 25 check your firewall settings. If there are no firewalls then it is possible that your ISP is blocking port 25.