Out with the old, in with the new?

Timothy Kline

Good morning, KH forum!

Long time no visit, sorry. That's what happens when everything is running smooth as butter, I guess.

However, last night I was downloading a client's CPanel backup (13gb) via FTP and I realized that it was taking forEVER. I started off at a download rate of about 10mbps, but it dropped down to an average of 2-3mbps, with the file download taking nearly 7 hours!

I double-checked and my mDS (managed Dedicated Server) is showing me as having a 100mbps connection for the KH end of the connection. My ISP runs at 100mbps, as well. Latency doesn't appear to be an issue here, so I am suspecting that it's that 100mbps network speed.

I contacted Tech Support last night, and the tech let me know that the speeds I was experiencing were actually very good, and they linked me to a site to explain how bandwidth, etc., works. While the information was helpful in understanding how bandwidth works, my issue remains.

Now, a few months ago, a KH tech suggested I should move to a newer server since the mDS package I'm paying for is actually obsolete. It is the CP1, with a Core2Quad Q9550 4x2.83.

However, because I was in the process of a full build of a client's new online store, I decided to hold off on a server change to add to my misery. ;)

I contacted Sales after Ramon handled the tech side of my question about download speed. Deborah P provided me with the costs involved in keeping my same configuration drive and memory-wise while also moving to either the KH-MD2 or KH-MD3, so I guess I'm all set on that side of things, too.

My question is this: will moving to a server that has the gigabit port result in a noticeable improvement in download speeds when it comes to CPanel backups, or will I still see sub-10mbps speeds? Unfortunately, my query as to adding a gigabit port to my current server was answered with a no-can-do due to its obsolescence.

I'm hoping someone can help make all this a little more clear, as it's surprising to me that I'm pulling such low transfer speed numbers from my KH mDS, especially when compared with when I've accessed non-KH sites via FTP and seen speeds range between 50mbps and 80mbps.

Any help would be appreciated!
--Timothy Kline

Hey Timothy,

Thanks for sticking with us all these years :)

If the limitation is from the server serving other traffic as well, then yes you'd see an improvement. If it's from any other thing such as the fact that you'll never push 100Mbps through a 100Mbps pipe, then it probably won't help. While you'd have more overall capacity, I'm betting a single threaded download on route from the server to you with a 100Mbps connection likely wouldn't happen unless you're relatively geographically close.

If you commonly do backup downloads to your machine I'd say go for the upgrade. Lets say you do achieve a full 100Mbps - what's left over for all of your other traffic during the download? Basically nothing. A gigabit port will give you much more flexibility overall.

Also - have you seen our backup space offerings? That may interest you for storing some backups off of your server :)

Hey Timothy,

Thanks for sticking with us all these years :)

If the limitation is from the server serving other traffic as well, then yes you'd see an improvement. If it's from any other thing such as the fact that you'll never push 100Mbps through a 100Mbps pipe, then it probably won't help. While you'd have more overall capacity, I'm betting a single threaded download on route from the server to you with a 100Mbps connection likely wouldn't happen unless you're relatively geographically close.

If you commonly do backup downloads to your machine I'd say go for the upgrade. Lets say you do achieve a full 100Mbps - what's left over for all of your other traffic during the download? Basically nothing. A gigabit port will give you much more flexibility overall.

Also - have you seen our backup space offerings? That may interest you for storing some backups off of your server :)

Good morning, Jonathan, and thank you for your response!

Yes, I've been very happy with KH (obviously, since I'm still here, lol). :)

I keep meaning to get around to an off-site backup solution, but there never seem to be enough hours in my days to actually do so-- and I rely both on the secondary HD and the clients to handle backing up their sites currently.

In this particular client's case, though, I was doing a straight download of their complete site backup to work with offline to untangle their burgeoning site for them.

Back to the driving question, though... if I'm understanding you correctly, by moving to a gigabit port mDS, I will see a significant improvement in download speed-- not groundbreaking, but noticeably better than the average 2-3mbps I'm seeing currently? As an example, I'd LOVE to see it up somewhere in the 15mbps - 20mbps, at a minimum. Or am I having unrealistic expectations? o_O

Thank you, in advance!
--Tim

Timothy,

It's important to notate the difference in 1Mbps and 1MB/s. Generally you'll see download in a web browser displayed in MB/s. In rough math, a 100Mbps pipe can push about 12-13 MB/s - they're the same thing just measure differently. Mbps = megabits. MB/s = megabytes. There are 8 bits in a byte...you get the picture.

You're not going to get to 15-20MB/s. I'd expect you to be able to achieve at least 5-8 MB/s on the 100Mbps port unless you've got something else on your server eating a lot of bandwidth, or possibly just a poor route from your ISP to the server.

Timothy,

It's important to notate the difference in 1Mbps and 1MB/s. Generally you'll see download in a web browser displayed in MB/s. In rough math, a 100Mbps pipe can push about 12-13 MB/s - they're the same thing just measure differently. Mbps = megabits. MB/s = megabytes. There are 8 bits in a byte...you get the picture.

You're not going to get to 15-20MB/s. I'd expect you to be able to achieve at least 5-8 MB/s on the 100Mbps port unless you've got something else on your server eating a lot of bandwidth, or possibly just a poor route from your ISP to the server.

Doh! You're right, of course, Jonathan. /facepalm

And what do you estimate I'll see by moving to the gigabit port, in relation to the 5-8 MB/s of the 100MBps port?

(I'm pretty decided on going forward with the move, but am still trying to wrap my head around this part of the inquiry, sorry.)

Again, appreciate your time!

--Tim

Sending out a Thank You to Jonathan and WBW, as you were pretty close: My local router here was failing, apparently. And did, finally.

The download speed is back to normal with the new router in place now. Still aiming to move to the newer hardware, though. :)

--Tim

I've achieved 43 MB/sec on a 1Gbps port at my home office. My network at home office is 350mbps. Server to server transfers with both on 1Gbps I tend to get 900mbps.