Older VPS (VPS-XLca) plans vs new ones and performance

marcm

Hello everyone.

I'm currently on a VPS-XLca plan. One of my sites is getting pretty busy and I can notice the pages slowing down a bit. I'm getting ready to launch another site that will probably eventually be just as busy or maybe even more so. So I'm wondering if I should upgrade/switch now to a newer VPS plan, like the VPS3?

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has switched from the older plans to the newer plans, and if so, what type of performance increase, if any, did you experience?

Finally, if I were to switch to a new plan, I'm guessing my VPS would have to be moved to a newer machine. How much downtime would I likely experience with such a move?

I figured I'd start this thread here for open discussion but I will contact support for the specific details of a move when that happens.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'm sure a KnownHost staff member would have a definite answer, but I believe transitioning from one VPS plan to another involves no downtime. You could put in a support ticket with sales to confirm that.

Hello,

If you want to switch to the VS3 this involves no downtime as we've built a process to make this easy on you as the customer. It's quite simple. Just email us and we will convert you. You do get more RAM with the VS3 which is a good thing not to mention more Disk Space as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Joel

Hello,

If you want to switch to the VS3 this involves no downtime as we've built a process to make this easy on you as the customer. It's quite simple. Just email us and we will convert you. You do get more RAM with the VS3 which is a good thing not to mention more Disk Space as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Joel

Hi Joel, thanks for replying. Is the CPU an upgrade as well? And what about number of VPS's per machine. Is that basically the same?

Also, my site is very active with constant activity from my users, including messages and sign-ups etc. How does the database and site get moved to a new machine without some sort of down-time? I don't mind a little down-time, I just would like to time it properly so I can notify my users etc.

As an example, say you are copying everything over to a new machine. But during this, the database on the original machine is being updated. So there would be a gap or loss in data. How does your system avoid this?

I thought about it after the announcement today but my biggest issue is memory, I use very little cpu. If I change over to the new plan then I will be limited to 512mb instead of the 768mb burstable ram that the old plan has. Considering, I had to change hosts initially due to a one off increase in traffic due to something I ranked highly for in google being on TV, I figure if that happened again, the memory would be the first to fail me.

Benefits of new VPS VS2 – VS5 over older VPS-XLtx

With the recently announced Holiday upgrades of the VS2 – VS5 packages – I would like a little more detailed comparison of my old VPS-XLtx package to help me determine if I should consider upgrading. All my sites are low usage – even though using MySQL and PHP. I am hopping to expand though.

Is the software the same – just hardware differences? Support the same – I assume so…

Thanks