Offsite backups

Yogesh Sarkar

Can you guys offer off site backup solutions for resellers and vps (paid of course)?

I was checking out a few of these services, but couldn’t figure them out.

What I was looking for was a sort of automatic data replication service which keeps a daily backup of my data to another server located in another data center to ensure in case of any server problems the amount of data lost is minimal.

Ps. while we are on the subject, do you guys allow rsync on the reseller account?

We do offer backups (performed every other night) with VPS's to remote machines. These backup's are viewable via the VZPP (Virtuozzo Powerpanel)for you to restore or for us to upon request.

With Reseller plans we can give a backup from the previous day but they get overwritten each night.

Thanks,
Joel

We do offer backups (performed every other night) with VPS's to remote machines. These backup's are viewable via the VZPP (Virtuozzo Powerpanel)for you to restore or for us to upon request.

Joel, I think the OP was referring to the following: KnownHost performs backups and stores them off-site, out of Colo4 and the Cali DC. Somewhere's like BQBackup.com ;)

Regards,

Yes, I was thinking of getting an account with BQBackup or similar service provider to ensure that in case I am not able to perform a manual backup of the database (which I do every day), the data would still be secure. But some how it all looks complicated and I think to enable their resync service, I would require root access, which I do not have at this moment.

I am sure if Knownhost starts providing this as an add on service, there will be quite a few takers.

Yes, I was thinking of getting an account with BQBackup or similar service provider to ensure that in case I am not able to perform a manual backup of the database (which I do every day), the data would still be secure. But some how it all looks complicated and I think to enable their resync service, I would require root access, which I do not have at this moment.

I am sure if Knownhost starts providing this as an add on service, there will be quite a few takers.

I agree. I currently backup between my two vps servers, however both are in the California data centre. I'd love to have 10 gig backup in the Texas data centre.

Looks like this will be in the next meeting. Sorry. A lot going on but all good of course...

Joel

I contacted their support regarding this, apparently it's not something KH are now thinking of providing (due to low cost providers like BQBackup) :)

I just became a memebr of one of the more popular offsite backup places. My first ticket has been 8 hours, and hasn't had a response. I really hate having to deal with anyone other than KH. Every time I do, it's just a disappointment.

Guys, please reconsider this. There must be some old out of date servers laying around that would be up to the job. I don't care if you're a little more expensive than the other guys either.

In my power panel > maintainance, I used to see schaduled backups. but now when I click maintainance tap in powerpanel then what I see is

Code:
VPS backup stores all VPS data, including system and user files.

No backups created yet. Creation of 1 backup(s) is allowed for You.

Has knownhost stopped making scadualed backups?

In my power panel > maintainance, I used to see schaduled backups. but now when I click maintainance tap in powerpanel then what I see is

Code:
VPS backup stores all VPS data, including system and user files.

No backups created yet. Creation of 1 backup(s) is allowed for You.
Has knownhost stopped making scadualed backups?

Yes please see the thread Yogesh Sarkar gave you. I would suggest subscribing to that forum so you get such updates.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Regards,

Thanks for the link. It just gave me a hickup when i saw no backups... now, knowing it will be back up again in few weeks eased me...

With the quake in CA earlier, I'm hoping those "offsite" backups KH makes are offsite to TX, just in case there is worse to come !

:)

The VPS backups we create are stored on backup servers within the same DC where production servers are located.