Obtaining old e-mails?

silverhawk11

KnownHost Fanboy
Hey everybody,

So I configured my e-mail client with the e-mails from my domain, and had some important information on there that I need. Well, a update was installed on my computer which constantly gave me the BSOD. I didn't realize it was from automatic updates until -after- I reformatted and began installing updates on my computer, but needless to say I lost the prior e-mails during the reformat. Is there a way to retrieve them from my VPS at all to get the old information back? I really appreciate it!

Best regards,
Cameron

If your mail client was using POP3, then all messages were downloaded to your PC. Unless you had "Leave a copy on the server" option enabled, or you were using IMAP.

Login to your webmail for the account and see if there is any messages there.

Hello!

Thank you for the response. I checked my webmail, not a single thing. None of my old messages were downloaded either, and it's through POP3. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Cameron

Hi Cameron,

Unfortunately you're not going to have much luck recovering them from the server as once they are downloaded using POP3 they are deleted.

You have no backups of your drive from before the crash? If so then you can at least recover your email file from it and open or import them back into your client. And if not I can recommend a couple so it doesn't happen again. Been there done that, never again!

Sorry for the late reply! Unfortunately I don't have any backups, I always just winged it, but now I'm going to start creating backups :p. What would you recommend so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help!

Best regards,
Cameron

Hi Cameron,

I use imaging software myself and backup to an external drive (can also be an internal drive of course). I have used Acronis True Image, Acronis Backup and Recover, and am currently using Shadow Protect Desktop. All of these will allow you to create a full baseline backup and then incrementals. They support scheduling, rescue disc creation, image file rotation, compressing multiple image files into one, virtual machines, all kinds of things.

Acronis True Image is going to be the cheapest but it will also be the most limiting options wise. Backup and Recover and Shadow Protect are enterprise level products and of the two I would recommend going with Shadow Protect due to the...well let's just say I used Acronis products for years and got very tired of the lack of support and the direction they were taking the product but I have been very happy with Shadow Protect.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have anymore questions