NVMe SSD

I'm curious if knownhost has looked into NVMe SSD considering how the price has come down so much.

For what, specifically? VPS? Cloud? Dedis?

Each has its own answer really. Prices have come down, sure but I wouldn't necessarily call them cheap by any means. We try to keep our pricing pretty reasonable and at this point NVMe is still a significant hike over SATA SSDs cost-wise (for the ones that are actually fast).

When we built our cloud infrastructure we eyed them but the prices just didn't work out. They'll definitely be something used in the future when the prices are there. Something else to keep in mind is that in a virtualized environment just because we use NVMe drives doesn't mean you'll get faster speed. We do make sure to run all of our systems under capacity with plenty of resources available (in the case of drives we're talking IOPS and sequential speeds here) so say we just replaced all of our drives with NVMe one day instantaneously - you'd not even notice since there's plenty of available IOPS as-is.

The closest real-world scenario I can think of would be a 2 lane highway versus an 8 lane highway. Just because you're on the 8 lane doesn't mean you're reaching your destination any faster than the 2 lane so long as the speed limit is the same on each, and the 2 lane isn't overloaded with traffic.

As for offering on dedis I could see that happening sooner rather than later but it's all about if someone is willing to pay for them.

One other thing to think about from our end specifically for virtualization is chassis that are built to deal with them. There are some on the market and they're becoming more and more common but it's not near like the availability of SATA chassis. This directly impacts rack density which is an important factor for us :)

Thank you for the fast response.
I really like that Knownhost is focused on value. You answered my question. I was curious how far away we are from seeing it. Sounds like a few more years.
My new pc build I'm using NVMe and the performance really impressed me. Reminds me of when good ssd drives came out.
Thank you again!

NVMe doesn't work great in a RAID setup at all neither. Many system also only enable you to use it as a boot drive and not storage or acceleration. I think SSD is still the best option when it comes to I/O and pricing to customers.

:)

NVMe doesn't work great in a RAID setup at all neither. Many system also only enable you to use it as a boot drive and not storage or acceleration. I think SSD is still the best option when it comes to I/O and pricing to customers.

:)

Our Cloud platform does not run RAID so that's not relevant, but our OpenVZ platform does.

I have 2 dedicated servers running a 2TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe and 2 x Samsung Enterprise 12 TB drives for storage. They are really fast.

Attachments

• NVMe.jpg
    NVMe.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 9,025