No difference in Speed from shared hosting to SSD VPS

Penseur

I just finally got my site over to Knownhost after so many problems. Now I'm surprised to see that the speed as not changed a bit.
I was with Hostgator reseller and move to SSD1 here. My site is not that big and not many users.
I was hoping that my page speed would drop from 4s to at least 2s.
Is there anything I need to change?
I'm running a joomla 3.3 site.

The only information you provided is that you use Joomla. It's kinda hard to give advice with so little information.

It would really help if you posted the URL to your site.

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.goalscommunity.com/EY2knUi7 (will disappear after 24 hours)

Two items stick out. First, make sure to use the correct-size images. You're forcing users to load 600K of useless garbage because you're serving the wrong size images. And second, make sure to load the Facebook all.js script asynchronously. it's a huge script, and since it's loaded synchronously, page rendering must wait until it's loaded.

It would be great if you could defer parsing your JS, but Joomla is really bad when it comes to this, so there is little you can do.

As for your server, since you're using FastCGI, make sure to use Apache 2.4 with MPM-Event. Also consider using PHP 5.5 with OPcache. I know the folks at KnownHost recommend APC, but it's a dead product, it has SegFault problems with PHP 5.4 and 5.5, and even the APC developers are telling people to move to OPcache.

Thanks guys,
But isn't the speed of any site suppose to boost at least a bit when switching from shared hosting to VPS SSD?
I thought part of the issue was the shared hosting. However after so many testing I see no difference at all.

@Dion : I'm using K2 component for my articles and it changes the images into 3 different sizes so that's why it's at 600px. I'm still working on changing that.

Where do I change to Apache 2.4 with MPM-Event? WHM?
I'm using PHP 5.5 but didn't activate OPcache.

@Victor : I've turned on Gzip compression in Joomla and using JCH Optimize plugin to combine CSS and mini them and JS.
I also have compression turned on in cpanel.

I really thought My speed would boosted up switching to knownhost. I guess now I have to get a CDN. Thanks again guys for the tips.

Last edited:
If the problems with page load times are due to filesystem issues (database queries, file access), then moving to a SSD VPS will help immensely. In your case, the issue is the Joomla theme/plugins you've chosen. A CDN will have little if any effect on your page load times.

Until you reduce the HUGE number of scripts you're loading synchronously, load the scripts in the footer area and not in the header, and reduce the amount of wasted bandwidth caused by serving incorrectly-sized images, you will have issues with page load times. (If you're using a plugin to combine CSS/JS, it's not doing its job.)

To activate Apache 2.4 and MPM-Event, you will need to recompile Apache with EasyApache in WHM. If you're using PHP 5.5, then OPcache can be activated by adding a single line to php.ini. If you're not a software developer, the default settings for OPcache are fine, though you should consider reducing opcache.memory_consumption from 64 to 48.

In both cases, I'd suggest opening a support ticket and request that it be done for you...you'll see a big reason why people switch to, and stay with, KnownHost.

If the problems with page load times are due to filesystem issues (database queries, file access), then moving to a SSD VPS will help immensely. In your case, the issue is the Joomla theme/plugins you've chosen. A CDN will have little if any effect on your page load times.

Until you reduce the HUGE number of scripts you're loading synchronously, load the scripts in the footer area and not in the header, and reduce the amount of wasted bandwidth caused by serving incorrectly-sized images, you will have issues with page load times. (If you're using a plugin to combine CSS/JS, it's not doing its job.)

100% agree :)

If you have compression enabled via cPanel>Optimize Website, is it set to "compress all content" ? Or set to "Compress the specified MIME types" ?

Hi Penseur,

The most obvious bottleneck is usually someone's connection. I just loaded your page here and it didn't even take 2 seconds. Are you sure your own connection isn't the bottleneck you're seeing?

Hello Dion & others,
I did post a ticket and requested exactly your suggestion and yes there's a pretty decent difference~!!
Now it went down to about 2.5sec from 3.7sec.

Thank you all !! for helping out. I'm happy with knownhost so far with the response time. I will do more resizing of pics, load the Facebook all.js script asynchronously, and manually defer Some JS files.
I can't combine them, too many conflicts.

Thanks again guys for the support on this forum.