no 404 errors showing on missing graphics

Dandello

I'm trying to scan for missing pages and files but the error log is only showing missing scripts. (All the requests for a non-existant 'wp_admin.php' and non-existant 'book.pl' show up, but not the calls for equally non-existant 'error.gif' or 'no_page.html'. The 404 page shows on the screen when trying to retrieve 'error.gif', but the 'not found or unable to stat' doesn't show up in the error log.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Files that execute scripts such as .pl and .php would show in the Apache log because they were attempted to be executed by a PHP handler, or specific handler like python.

This is considered a server error, so they would be recorded in the Apache error log because they failed to execute.

If I'm not mistaken; I do believe this is intended behavior.

Typically 404 errors are not server errors, so your standard files such as .gif or .html files would not show up in the Apache error log; they would show up in the access logs as 404's.

You can get the additional info to log to Apache error logs by modifying Apache configuration's 'LogLevel' to 'info' on servers that handle Apache 2.4

I'm not sure if this would be helpful, as there would be no mention of '404' errors in the error log -- you would just get something like

--
AH00128: File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/path/to/file
--

I would recommend opening a support ticket if you need assistance doing this; but I wouldn't keep it like this.