New Server getting SMTP Errors


Active Member
New dedi server less than a week old. Get's 550 Denied by policy errors when trying to send emails to a select group of hosts. The ones I've noticed mostly are Microsoft accounts, AOL, AT&T, and an insurance company Auto Owners. And, Auto Owners even whitelisted my IP and it's still failing. I've gone through KH support, but they seem to think it's a black listing issue. But, I've tried sending emails from multiple different domains, and multiple different IPs, all are getting the same result. That indicates to me that there is some setting on the server or something about this server that these email hosts do not like. None of my IPs are even publicly blacklisted. I'm at a loss and support has just been sitting on it for over 3 days now. I know they're waiting on a reply from the email hosts, but I don't think they're even going to be much help once they do respond.

Any ideas anyone?

Here is the Almost Instantly Generated Single Failure message when sending an email to all 4 hosts....
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host []: 550 Denied by policy
SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
host []: 554 5.7.1 :
SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<*****>
host []: 550 SC-001 (BAY0-MC3-F15) Unfortunately,
messages from ***.***.***.*** weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service
provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer
your provider to
SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
host []: 550-***.***.***.*** blocked by
550 Error - Blocked for abuse. See
I had the same problem with AOL when I first set up my VPS. It took about a week and it resolved itself. I think it had to do with domain propagation. Basically it was trying to match up the IP with the domain and it was throwing an error because they didn't match. Once AOL's servers updated it worked itself out.

Hopefully that's what's happening in your case.
I appreciate the response Alex. I'm just very surprised if that's true. Large companies like this should have almost instant DNS updates. It's been a week since the migration to my new server.
Hi Josh,

I've had problems with AOL, Yahoo, and Hotmail myself. Make sure your SPF is good and add DKIM/Domainkey too. All three of these companies are like email nazis and if you don't give them what they specifically want they'll bounce or even flat blackhole your email.

Be wary of mailing lists to AOL users too, I've had multiple times where an AOL user decided to just report a valid mailing list as spam rather than simply clicking unsubscribe.

And thanks for the laugh about a company like AOL updating quickly! I needed that on this pseudo Monday! :D