New account Name Server question

Possibly coming over from hostgator.

My vps at HG has the name server of ns1.bergeronwebdesign.com and ns2.bergeornwebdesign.com. all of my clients have there domains pointed to those name servers "of coarse". but my question is can i start a vps with known host and have the same name servers, becuase this would require less confusion on the part of my client. they would not have to go in a change there name servers. this is confusing for alot of people.

my question is would this cause a conflict with having nameservers at hostgator and at knownhost with the same name. once everything is migrated over to known host, i will terminate the hostgator account.

Vincent,

Sure you can use the nameservers. This would not cause any conflicts and they'd take effect only upon you updating your main DNS settings. Our support department would be more than happy to assist you with your migration and DNS switch.

Vincent
You can't actually have them working on both at the same time as the nameservers points to specific IP's, since you are moving IP's you'll need to change the nameservers to point to the new ones - which will need time to propagate.

However, you can have the nameservers setup on your new VPS and on the old server use the below instructions to relay the websites to the newserver while you wait for dns propagation.

http://forums.knownhost.com/threads...-with-minimal-downtime-using-dns-and-whm.654/

Cheers

Ok I read the link above. And am confused in two areas.

Changing the TTL: I have changed it on all the domains. but do i just change the A record for example.com or do I change the A record for webmail.example.com? What I’m asking is do I change all the A records? Or just the main one.

And the Name servers: I am using the same Name Server names at Knownhost (new account) and hostgator (old account). How does the DNS servers around the world learn the IP's of the the New Name Servers at KnownHost when they are the same name. Because right now there are two Name Servers on the web with the same name and my name servers at hostgator are just relaying the message to go to Knownhost. So I’m guessing once the DNS servers will use hostgator to relay the DNS forward to Knownhost until i shut down hostgator. But since I’ve left the TTL on Hostgator to 15 minutes, it will take 15 minutes for the DNS servers to find Kown Host

I said all of that to say this. Since the name servers at each company have the same names will the DNS servers’ automatically start using the knownhost Name servers 15 minutes after hostgator goes offline?

Vincent,

What you'll want to do, once everything is setup on both servers, is to login to your domain registrar portal for the domain that is your nameservers. Once there you can alter the registration settings for those nameservers, giving them the new IP's for the KH server.

Hope this helps!

Ok i went to the domain register and found where to do this thanks.

But do i need to change all the A record or just the main one.

if you guys keep this level of support up, your company can only go up. Oh by the way the reason i changed to a different hosting provider was because my VPS at Hostgator was very slow. my pings were 350+ms all the time, never had any pings faster than that. on the new Known host server my pings are 18ms. and the site are, i would say 4400 to 500 times faster loading so far.

Thakns

Actually, that brings up a new question.

When you do a whois on your domain, are you using custom nameserver's or default ones from the registrar?

If your using the default then yes, you'll update all the A records to point to your new server's IP's, if your using custom then there should be a separate nameserver registration section where you just update the IP's for ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com

i am using custom neamservers. ns1.bergeronwebdesign.com and Ns2.bergeronwebdesign.com.

when i look a bergeronwebdeisgn.com at the registar it has a place where the the nameservers are pointed to the ip addresses used at hosgator. now all my client domains are just pointed to nameservers themselves. so if im thinking about this right i would just need to change the ip address for the name server under the domain of bergeronwebdesign.com where the Ip's of the name servers are listed and once that is progated on all the dns servers around the world the client website should resolve on the knowhost servers becuase the name servers themselves are pointing to the knownhost server. correct?

Ok good,

In that case all you need to modify are the nameserver registration IP's.

And yes, that is correct, once you change those nameserver's after the propagation takes effect (24-72 hours) all clients will be pointed to the KH servers.

Hi Vincent,

But do i need to change all the A record or just the main one.
You want everything defined with an A record to switch over quickly so you would need to change all of them.

when i look a bergeronwebdeisgn.com at the registar it has a place where the the nameservers are pointed to the ip addresses used at hosgator. now all my client domains are just pointed to nameservers themselves. so if im thinking about this right i would just need to change the ip address for the name server under the domain of bergeronwebdesign.com where the Ip's of the name servers are listed and once that is progated on all the dns servers around the world the client website should resolve on the knowhost servers becuase the name servers themselves are pointing to the knownhost server. correct?

If all of the client domains are using ns1 and ns2.bergeronwebdesign.com for their nameservers then yes this is correct.