name servers...

opentoe

I use Godaddy to register my domains. I just received my welcome email and I want to point the name servers I was given, but when I enter them Godaddy tells me they are not a registered name server. Am I on the right track here?

Yep, that was it. They have two DNS editors there and two versions, so while one took me to their original, another one was taking me to their new one. A little hectic there. Thanks for the tip on that!

Personally I can't stand Godaddy's panel. It's un-intuitive at best. (Plus they spam you with ad emails all the time).

Namecheap FTW :)

Actually, I have another question regarding this. I added my name servers in the zone editor via Godaddy's panel, but my name servers are still at my old hosting service.

I captured a couple of screen shots so you can see what I mean.

On the Zoneedit one you'll see the name servers I added all the way at the bottom. All that other stuff was already there from Godaddy.

Attachments

• dns.jpg
    dns.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 14
  • zoneedit.jpg
    zoneedit.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi opentoe,

It sounds like you are using Godaddy's DNS services. Why would you do that rather than the DNS services on your own VPS?

I'm really just curious here because I've used Godaddy for years but have never once (not even in the shared hosting days) have I used their DNS services.

Hi opentoe,

It sounds like you are using Godaddy's DNS services. Why would you do that rather than the DNS services on your own VPS?

I'm really just curious here because I've used Godaddy for years but have never once (not even in the shared hosting days) have I used their DNS services.

Thanks for responding...

Their interface was confusing to me, and all I needed to do was add the name servers as a host but finding it was difficult. Once I eventually found the area to add the name server hosts I did that, then I had to change the name servers. It was a two step process with them and it was the first time I needed add a host with them so I was not familiar with their interface.

I had this exact issue a couple days ago after signing up. Took me forever to find the "Add Host" widget hiding at the bottom of the GoDaddy Domain management page.

Curious though Dan when you asked why we were using GoDaddy's DNS service instead of the one on our own VPS? Since I'm really new to this could you explain this a little further?

Jen

Hi Jen,

After looking at the attachments again I see that the DNS servers in the Godaddy jpeg are simply the default ones that Godaddy puts in when you register a domain with them. What needed to be done was to add the name server hosts (as opentoe said in post #7) for the domain and then change the nameservers to the local ones in the VPS. Typically you create nameserver hosts for your 'main domain' and then use those nameservers at your registrar for all the domains you have on your VPS.

Sorry about the confusion there but I hope we got it cleared up :)

Yes that makes sense and that's what I ended up doing. I added my KH "main" nameservers and both of my domains are pointing to that. All clear now -- I just thought the way you were referencing it that there was something that could have been set up in the WHM control panel or something like that.

The folks that provided my old shared hosting were also my registrar. I needed to move and chose Godaddy because their prices are competitive and I figured the biggest must know what they're doing.

It's clear though that they don't spend a lot of money on their user interface.......