Name based domain possible ?

Dewed

Using linux VPS with WHM/cpanel, I was able to get our primary domain migrated over and running, but have several others left to do. The primary domain is tied to one of the 2 IP addresses. I'd like to researve the 2nd IP for a common SSL/https domain that a few of the other domains will share.

Must I acquire additional IPs ? one for each additional domain? I was hoping I could just
set up name based domains, using the owner of our primary domain as a reseller.

I think that is the way to go, BUT.. I'd like these child domains to have document root outside of the reseller's account, if anything to make back ups manageable.

Any suggestions?

Hello Dewed,

Yes IP sharing is how cPanel normally does things. You can share the one remaining IP with the nameservers and domains. I personally prefer to use the systems 2 IPs for each nameserver and then one of them for the shared IP but I have heard you can do what you are asking.

If you look at the Main cPanel/WHM setup and check the Main Shared Virtual Host IP you can confirm that it is the one you want.

Thanks for the quick reply. In an effort to get these domains moved over before the billing cycle renews on their current hosts, I attempted to use the reseller account option to create the accounts, and intended to update the nameservers at the registrar AFTER I had done some tests, but using CPanel, I can't create a domain ..
Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 67.228.207.194,67.19.36.196 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Well yes, the nameserver's IP reference the current ones.. Surely I can transfer a domain somehow, and preview it before throwing the nameserver switch ?

This is becoming very maddening, I have roughly a dozen domains to transfer. If I dont update the nameserver at the registrar first I get the previous error mentioned above.

If I update the nameserver at the registrar first and then try to create the domain in the reseller account I get

Error from park wrapper: Sorry, cannot determine nameserver IPs. Please make sure that the domain is registered with a valid domain registrar.

Please.. I'm practically begging here, going on 20 hours to move one domain is extremely ridiculous.

Dewed,

Try to enable the following options on the WHM >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings screen:

Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (i.e. domain transfers)
Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that are not registered

Hope this helps.

I'm also going to move this thread to the Linux VPS/Hybrid/Dedicated - cPanel section.

Thank you.. The makers of cpanel should probably make these errors more informative, and WHM stashing them in "server tweaks" isn't intuitive either..

Anyway, one down, I'll do the rest after consuming large quantities of aspirin

Morning Dewed,

I do not remember getting any such message when I transferred my domains but I used the backup/restore method myself. Maybe it does not do DNS checks when you do it that way?

This is a pretty new server, less than a week old I think. Maybe the defaults for these settings were changed, if so, prepare for a flood of people with the same dilemma.

backup/restore? not sure what you mean, and not sure it applies to my situation. I'm moving domains from other hosting providers. Getting the files and databases copied over was simple compared to getting the domain created and DNS changed.. untill I was directed to those 2 pesky little checkboxes anyways.

When I try to create a new WHM user/with an existing domain hosted elsewhere I get

"Account Creation Status: failed (Your system has run out of available ip addresses, or you do not have permission to use any more ip addresses. (Unable to find an ip address.) ) Your system has run out of available ip addresses, or you do not have permission to use any more ip addresses. (Unable to find an ip address.)"

I want to create name based domains.....

Dewed,

Sounds like the package you're selecting while creating this account has the "Dedicated IP" option checked. You can change package configuration at WHM >> Packages >> Edit Packages.