MySQL Upgrade

awehost

Hi

I have a VPS with MySQL version 5.1.73 and I see that 5.5 and 5.6 are available.
It also has PHP 5.2.17.

I'm reluctant to upgrade PHP at the moment as I have several customers sites who will probably break if I upgrade at present, but I am wondering if upgrading MySQL is an issue and if it will likely cause any issues to my customers sites/databases and server performance.

Any advice?
Thanks

The upgrade of MySQL is very unlikely to cause any issues - I've never seen going from 5.1 -> 5.5/5.6 cause an issue but this isn't possible without upgrading PHP.

PHP 5.2 is long EOL and no long supported by cPanel or in it's repositories. If you upgrade MySQL you have to rebuild PHP to rebuild the php-mysql libraries and since 5.2 is no longer available you won't be able to rebuild using it.

I highly recommend getting upgraded to PHP 5.4 ASAP. 5.2 is EOL as is 5.3 now. 5.2 is loaded with security vulnerabilities and running software on it is just asking to get hacked.

I've not seen many issues caused by either MySQL nor PHP upgrades within the same major version. They're programmed well enough to account for backwards compatibility, they're mostly just security patches and feature upgrades. If you were upgrading from PHP version 3 to version 5 I would expect you may see some issues.

I've not seen many issues caused by either MySQL nor PHP upgrades within the same major version. They're programmed well enough to account for backwards compatibility, they're mostly just security patches and feature upgrades. If you were upgrading from PHP version 3 to version 5 I would expect you may see some issues.

5.2->5.3 will break a lot of stuff in older applications. Aside from breaking that boundary upgrades within the 5.x branch are relatively safe. Ex. I don't see many issues from 5.1->5.2, or 5.3->5.4/5.5.