MX records for subdomain to external server... ?

arumdev

I have a slightly out of the ordinary scenario that’s doing my head in.

I have a client with a KH VPS and many domains.
One addon domain - lets’ call it www.domain.com has email set up at the KH server.
The website for said domain has been developed and hosted by a third party, so I have setup DNS records to send web traffic there - I’ll call that remote server.

The web app at remote server needs to be able to send emails FROM www.domain.com but the email server needs to remain at the KH server. As far as I understand, the domain would need to be added as an addon domain at the remote server for this to work, and DNS/MX records pointing it there, which would break the currently in use emails from working at the KH server. Moving ALL mail traffic/accounts duties to the remove server is not an option. I figured creating a subdomain - shop.domain.com and setting up MX records to send mail there would give the web app the mail functionality it needs, whilst still appearing to customers who receive emails form the web app that the mail is coming from the same domain as the web shop they purchased from. I’m having trouble setting up the correct MX/DNS and other settings for this to work properly. I don’t have access to the remove server control panel.

I have set up MX records at the DNS server on KH cPanel, but I’m not entirely sure I’ve done that right as I can’t really test it from the other end.

Can someone explain what settings and steps are needed to get this working correctly?

Many thanks

MX records are only for specifying which server is going to handle the 'incoming' email, i.e which server receives emails for that domain.

It doesn't affect what servers send mail for that domain.

The web app can send emails for 'domain.com' but the SPF and DKIM Records for 'domain.com' need to be set to explicitly allow that server to send email on behalf of 'domain.com' so you don't run into authentication issues or spoofing concerns because the sending IP doesn't match what the SPF record has slated for 'domain.com'

However, when using a subdomain for this -- simply setting/creating an MX record for that subdomain would work in that regard.

Code:
subdomain 14400 IN MX 0 external.server.here.

I have set up MX records at the DNS server on KH cPanel, but I’m not entirely sure I’ve done that right as I can’t really test it from the other end.

Since you're a customer, if it's a managed server -- our support department can assist with issues like this too, just submit a ticket and we can take an more in-depth look. :)

Thank you Jonathan. I had asked support to sort this after my initial try didn’t work, which they did but I’d been given the wrong information from the third part and it wasn’t working. I’ve since changed it and it *seems* to be working as far as I can tell..

thanks as ever for your helpful response.

Thank you Jonathan. I had asked support to sort this after my initial try didn’t work, which they did but I’d been given the wrong information from the third part and it wasn’t working. I’ve since changed it and it *seems* to be working as far as I can tell..

thanks as ever for your helpful response.

I'm glad to hear that it's working!