Moving from Shared Reseller to VPS

F

fabb

Hi KH and KHsters,

After having been on shared reseller account (WHM/cPanel) at another host, I am considering signup for KH's VPS Lca. Please guide me with a few presale questions. My budget is flexible, but I want to be reasonable with my costs.

1. I know KH will perform the cPanel content migration for me. What/how much database migration will be involved in the move, if any?

2. My current host allows overselling; I've allocated max bandwidth to some sites although I never come close to exceeding the cumulative limit. Do I need to reconfigure packages/ and individual account allocations prior to the move?

3. Billing software: Is ClientExec worth the extra 25% recurring monthly cost or have AccountLab Plus / phpCOIN via Fantastico sufficed for customers?

4. I haven't used Fantastico but will sign up for the add-on. The available scripts are pre-installed and just need a web-based activation/configuration, is that correct?

5. With VPS hosting, are modules and software updated for the customer?
What does "semi-managed" mean, compared to a shared reseller account?

6. Besides the ease of moving from cPanel to cPanel, what other benefits are there with cPanel (or other premium CPs) over the free Webmin?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hello fabb,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Please see below as I have answered your questions. We hope to see you signup. Make note we do have a promotion currently on VPS's which will expire in the next few days.

1. I know KH will perform the cPanel content migration for me. What/how much database migration will be involved in the move, if any?

--All databases will come over as well as it will pull all the cPanel data.

2. My current host allows overselling; I've allocated max bandwidth to some sites although I never come close to exceeding the cumulative limit. Do I need to reconfigure packages/ and individual account allocations prior to the move?

--These settings will stay as is. You will not have to reconfigure them.

3. Billing software: Is ClientExec worth the extra 25% recurring monthly cost or have AccountLab Plus / phpCOIN via Fantastico sufficed for customers?

--You still need to license Accountlab Plus as it is only supported via Fantastico. Personally, we have quite a bit of happy WHMCS users so I say it is worth it.

4. I haven't used Fantastico but will sign up for the add-on. The available scripts are pre-installed and just need a web-based activation/configuration, is that correct?

--Correct unless a software license is required (example would be Accountlab Plus).

5. With VPS hosting, are modules and software updated for the customer?
What does "semi-managed" mean, compared to a shared reseller account?

--cPanel you can enable to update automatically every night so this is done for you. Shared hosting your simply sharing a server with ours and have no true isolation. You share a mail server, file system, etc. Semi-Managed means we are here to help when needed but we won't just login your VPS and update something without you knowing. With cPanel that isn't needed anyway as you can have cPanel update itself.

https://www.knownhost.com/faq.html#q13

6. Besides the ease of moving from cPanel to cPanel, what other benefits are there with cPanel (or other premium CPs) over the free Webmin?

--Webmin isn't a control panel. Feel free to check the demo at www.webmin.com. So unless you are skilled from the command line it won't work well for you. Any control panel allows novice users to create/edit/delete domains, email accounts, ftp accounts, etc. So without the GUI of the control panel you must use the command line basically.

Regards,
Joel

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the quick attention!

Also, thanks for your opinion on WHMCS. Can you clarify whether signup is for installation on the main account only or also on the resold accounts?

As far as migration, 3 of my sites take up 75% of my space and bandwidth and will be the "hairiest" in the whole process. Will you be able to carry out migration in 2 stages (small sites first, big ones later)? I will keep the old hosting one extra month after the move, to ensure complete DNS propagation.

I am also on the fence about CA or TX and have read opinions on both. The data transfer difference is pretty considerable, plus the "premium bandwidth" label on TX makes me think this is a quality vs. quantity decision. Among my clients, I have no multiuser game sites; just a forum and 2 blogs with low-medium activity; will CA meet my needs? Will a lateral transfer/upgrade to a TX server be seamless if needed in the future?

Thanks again.

Fabb,

Not a problem. WHMCS we provide you a license key for and the download link is on our site. You can install it and ask us questions if you have any problems. It is fairly straightforward. THe $5/mo fee is for your VPS and you can use it as you please.

We can migrate all your sites as when we move them the old data is still on your old server so until you modify the DNS it still will work at your old host. Many have requested similar things but moving it all doesn't mean you can't use it at your old host. However if you want us to just move some of the sites we can.

The datacenter differences are the Bandwidth options basically. In Texas we use Internap and Level 3 which you can't really beat and in California we currently use Verio and Cogent. In reality the difference is not very noticeable by the naked eye. We have clients very happy in both locations. If you want to move from CA to TX later it is light reordering as IP's would change, etc so we would need to migrate all your data and build a new VPS.

Regards,
Joel