Moving away from KnownHost need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melons

After many years of being with KH we're looking to move to another provider. We're just not happy with the support anymore. Something changed recently and we can't even get simple requests done anymore. Even escalation did nothing.

What is a good alternative SSD VPS provider that can handle migration of current KH accounts?

Thanks
Jake

Jake,

I'm not too sure what to say here, or why you'd even post this here. Your unhappiness stems from us asking you for information necessary to complete what you asked us to do (a migration).

Jake,

I'm not too sure what to say here, or why you'd even post this here. Your unhappiness stems from us asking you for information necessary to complete what you asked us to do (a migration).

Instead of reading from some type of rule book perhaps your help desk could look at a customer's history and make things happen. That is what great customer service is about

It is about the principal at this point.

I opened a brand new account (second one) and 3 minutes later opened a ticket with my old acct credentials listed requesting migration from old to the new account. I didn't even have the new acct credentials yet your customer service demanded I provide it and refused to help. This was a brand new, EMPTY account.

It is like you were reading from a script someone else wrote and couldn't make a decision on your own. Why not escalate to a manager and ask for an exception? Nothing was at risk here, absolutely nothing. You guys setup the new acct, it is not like was in some foreign country.

Last edited:
The response you got was a pre-defined, sure. It was tailored for your exact situation, however. We don't use many pre-defined responses, but the few we do use are only used in certain situations to save time from typing the same thing over and over for no reason. It was a simple information request and details about our migration process and how we handle them.

Hello,

We can attempt to perform account migrations as long as:
- The highest possible level of access is provided to *BOTH* systems
- The control panel matches
- The account backup functionality is available on the source server

Please provide the following details for both servers and we will be happy to get the migration process started for you.

Source
-----
IP Address:
Username: (root if at all possible)
Password:
SSH Port: (If your old host allowed access)
List of account usernames to be transferred:
-----

Destination
-----
IP Address:
Root Password:
SSH Port:
-----

Regards,

You opened a ticket with one set of credentials (new or old I didn't check). With one set, we can only access one server thus do nothing as far as migrating accounts goes. We need both sets in order to proceed, and you were specifically asked for both sets. Then you spent more time arguing with us about it with two people after myself versus giving us the passwords and the migration would've been done in likely under an hour.

We do not store root passwords from tickets for security reasons. When a ticket gets closed, the password gets nuked from our system, period.

It wasn't about exceptions, we'll gladly go above and beyond for customers...but when we don't have the information we need to do the job you've asked, we don't have it. I wish I could magically make passwords appear, but I can't. I guess if I could I'd be working for some secretive government agency :p

I'm the customer and I'm wrong. Okay.

You should go back and read the ticket perhaps before responding. You had the source account credentials which is what is important. I provided that. The destination account was 3 minutes old and I didn't have the credentials because it was new.

You should have seen that it was brand new. After this exchange I'm glad I'll be switching because I'm the customer and I am wrong.

Looking at this objectively, KH couldn't, easily and quickly, complete your request without the necessary information. They were not being difficult, they just have a process in place that accommodates a majority of users which over time has been modeled to be as efficient as possible. Probably why they directed you to that "rule book", so in the future you'll both be on the same page on what is expected.

Providing them with both root logins would have completed your request in far less time than them reinventing the wheel, and especially less time than migrating to another provider. It might not been what you wanted or expected, but what we want and expect out of life isn't always the best solution for everyone involved.

What you're asking for is an even more managed hosting provider that maintains access, or at least at some point has root access, to your server to accommodate your request without requiring your logins, thankfully that's not KH. They respect you and your customer's privacy and the privacy of potentially thousands of your customer's information. Is that a concern with a fresh server, no, but a majority of KH's customers appreciate that.

I opened a brand new account (second one) and 3 minutes later opened a ticket with my old acct credentials listed requesting migration from old to the new account. I didn't even have the new acct credentials yet your customer service demanded I provide it and refused to help. This was a brand new, EMPTY account.

let me see if I understand your statement. "...brand new account...", "...opened ticket with old acct credentials...", "...didn't have the new acct credentials..."
Where was the operator suppose to get the information? Couldn't you wait just 10 minutes till you have the required information or would you rather prefer KnownHost have a list of root usernames and passwords laying around somewhere and new account login details emailed to each and every employee?

Good on him/her for refusing to help you. I would expect nothing less from a hosting provider.

When I have an issue that requires my root login I simply tell support they can set a new password, then afterwards I set my old one back. If you are not comfy with supplying your login details I suggest you do that. As for the account being new, you could maybe just mention that you don't have the details yet so they could set a new one on their own then give it to you in the ticket.

After almost 4 years with KH, ~18 years managing servers and a few providers, I can say KH has been by far the best I've seen, in terms of price, server performance (I've had some speed issues at times but nothing major or permanent), customer support. Timing on support is key here, I know I will get a response within minutes in most cases which is very reassuring.

I've had 1 mixed experience however this year, where an account was using a considerable amount of RAM and CPU and causing MySQL to stop/crash sometimes. I raised this issue with support and after a few replies they insisted I had to upgrade my plan for more resources "You've got quite a few domains on your server, so that might be a factor" "You need to increase your RAM", rather than identifying the source of the problem, which I eventually found to be a rogue component in an old Joomla 1.5 install. In the end I didn't think much of it other than it was my fault anyway (not an issue with the server/service) and that I can't expect a complex/in-depth analysis of my issue for the price I'm paying.

Very happy customer overall.

After many years of being with KH we're looking to move to another provider. We're just not happy with the support anymore. Something changed recently and we can't even get simple requests done anymore. Even escalation did nothing.

What is a good alternative SSD VPS provider that can handle migration of current KH accounts?

Thanks
Jake
If youre annoyed about them asking for password, you shouldnt even be allowed to get access to a server. The whole point of them asking is for verification.

In terms of support yes at times they take longer than usual. But damm, KH has helped me out many times and being with them since 2015, I was extremely annoyed at how you have the nerve to complain about a password.But good luck finding someone better with support like KH.

@Melons don't let the virtual door hit on the way out. I would never be upset because someone wants to verify passwords for logins etc. KH has been nothing but fast and efficient whenever I've had to deal with them.

WOW! I agree with what everybody has said to OP. I have always had excellent support from Knownhost.

But what I can't get over is the OP coming on to Knownhost's forums and asking for recommendations for ANOTHER provider!!! Unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.