Move in and setup.

fuge

What do you guys do with your VPS right after moving in?

Here's my short list:

1. Disable direct SSH root login and setup wheel users
2. Turn on MySQL query caching
3. Install PHP caching (eAccelerator or APC)
4. These scripts:
http://www.labradordata.ca/home/12
VPSinfo and loadavg
5. setup logwatch
6. I use cpanel, but I like to have webmin too.

Yes, we can take care of all these listed below if you request it. Some would rather not but if you want this just make notes in the comments field in the orderwiz or go to http://support.knownhost.com/ and submit a ticket. Hope this helps.

-Jay

Thanks Jay,

I was just trying to start a thread with other users to see how they setup their servers. These are some things that I do before going live with a new server.

You never know what kind of goods tips you can get from those that run the same platform as you.

Fuge,

Thats great advice, especially for new VPS owners like me.

Can you expand on the following:

2. Turn on MySQL query caching - What are the benefits of this and how do you do it ?

3. Install PHP caching (eAccelerator or APC) - What are the benefits of this and how do you do it ?

5. setup logwatch - how ?

Thanks for the link to the scripts, very handy.

Dave

What do you guys do with your VPS right after moving in?

Here's my short list:

1. Disable direct SSH root login and setup wheel users
4. These scripts:
http://www.labradordata.ca/home/12
VPSinfo and loadavg
5. setup logwatch
6. I use cpanel, but I like to have webmin too.

Just to resurrect an old thread.

I agree with all of the above, but let me expand on VPSinfo and LoadAvg a little, as I don't see them discussed much on these forums.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are running a VPS, you must have those two applications installed. VPSinfo will give a real time look at how your VPS is going, including load averages, disk usage, mysql threads, memory use (base as well as burst), running processes, TCP connections, vnstat (daily and monthly transfer totals) and it can also be enabled with mysqlreport to monitor database queries etc.

LoadAvg records graphs so you can easily see any periods during the day where things have gone awry. This at least gives you a timeframe so you know where to look in logs. It records VPS settings every 6 minutes and includes load averages, memory usage and transmit/receive rates.

I currently run 3 VPS servers, so I was constantly opening up these program and switching between them to make sure all 3 servers were operating ok. Now I've embedded the important parts of the programs into one page, so now I can make sure all servers are ok by only opening one page. I've added a screen shot of my page so you can see how easy it is to monitor multiple servers.

The programs are freeware and are available from the link in the first post. I'm not associated with them in any way, I just find they make my life so much easier :)

Pete

Attachments

• vpsinfo.jpg
    vpsinfo.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 36
I want to know something about these before proceeding. First I would like know to what are the advantages and disadvantage of My SQL query caching & PHP caching.

I heard that mysql query catching will cause more ram usage then usual. Is it true?

One more thing is my site mainly consists of message board (forum). Is the MYSQL query & PHP catching be more helpful for it or board would do better without them.

Answers would be really helpful and highly appreciated.

I would base my decision on the load. If your page loads for your forum are getting slow then you might want to look into caching. If not then why should you?