Migration Questions

Matt Bateman

I like what I have read so far about your service and support. I am considering moving from HostGator VPS cPanel to your VPS2 with cPanel. I have some questions that will help determine if this is a migration that will work for me.

1. Is there any limit to the number of processes or TCP connections? On a different HG shared account, we have issues because there is a very low limit on processes, and IMAP connections overrun it regularly. This was the primary reason we went to VPS in the first place. Just want to make sure we will not run into that issue again.
  2. We have a WordPress site, plus some other custom PHP/MySQL apps. Is there an easy way to migrate all the code and databases?
  3. Is there a way to migrate all of our mail folders and ensure we don't lose any mail in the transition? We have a couple of users with several nested mail folders that are accessed via IMAP. We must have all those emails/folders preserved.
  4. Do you have any green initiatives? We initially went with HG because they do a lot with carbon offsets, alternative energy, and efficient data centers. We are a environmentally friendly company, and want to use vendors who are as well.

I like what I have read so far about your service and support. I am considering moving from HostGator VPS cPanel to your VPS2 with cPanel. I have some questions that will help determine if this is a migration that will work for me.

1. Is there any limit to the number of processes or TCP connections? On a different HG shared account, we have issues because there is a very low limit on processes, and IMAP connections overrun it regularly. This was the primary reason we went to VPS in the first place. Just want to make sure we will not run into that issue again.
  2. We have a WordPress site, plus some other custom PHP/MySQL apps. Is there an easy way to migrate all the code and databases?
  3. Is there a way to migrate all of our mail folders and ensure we don't lose any mail in the transition? We have a couple of users with several nested mail folders that are accessed via IMAP. We must have all those emails/folders preserved.
  4. Do you have any green initiatives? We initially went with HG because they do a lot with carbon offsets, alternative energy, and efficient data centers. We are a environmentally friendly company, and want to use vendors who are as well.

1. We don't put limits such as this on VPSs.
2. Sure, cPanel transfers are very complete for getting it all.
3. There's always a small time frame in between DNS propagation where it's possible for mail to be directed to the wrong server, but this window is small. Getting all old mail over is no problem assuming your old host is using cPanel.
4. We currently do not have any green initiatives. Our 3 datacenters handle power differently. Datacenter information can be found at https://www.knownhost.com/network.html

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

When buying VPS hosting, you know you're safe with KnownHost.