Migrating WHMPHP Master Reseller to VPS

Bryan

Very Happy KH VPS User
Holy crap.

Just when I thought I had seen it all, this problem creeps up. :D I wanted to ask this here first instead of to the Support guys, in case somebody here has experienced this before.

A client has a master reseller account (managed by WHMPHP software) at another hosting provider. I have never dealt with master reseller anything. I think they're ridiculous, quite frankly.

In any event, I would like to move the client and all his master reseller clients (and client's clients, I guess) over here to the VPS. The accounts created as "sub-resellers?" do not even show up in WHM. Thus, I cannot use the transfer feature in WHM.

There is no SSH access at the other provider, and none will be available, so I can't even see or guess at where these users' files are stored.

Help! ha ha! What, if anything, can I do to get these guys transferred here? Anyone ever dealt with this nonsense before?

The only thing I could think of would be temporarily installing a WHMPHP license here (they're cheap) and try transferring them that way, from one WHMPHP to another, but apparently, at least according to their site and other support docs. I've come across...it doesn't work that way. It's not like the standard cPanel transfers.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

So when you log into their WHM as root you do not see their reseller's accounts? That seems very odd to me, being cPanel accounts they have to be there somewhere.

I just read in the WHMPHP blog that they do not have the capability to export reseller accounts with all sub accounts yet. What you might have to do is get access to each reseller account so you can export all of the sub-accounts. It should be doable though.

Thanks for the reply Dan, and sorry I took so long to get back. Have been out of town.

So when you log into their WHM as root you do not see their reseller's accounts? That seems very odd to me, being cPanel accounts they have to be there somewhere.
That's part of the issue. He doesn't have a root account. He is what I guess you would call a master reseller? The WHM is a dumbed down version, and you log in with his username, not as root.

When you log into WHM using his credentials, these other accounts are not listed anywhere except in WHMPHP. The only ones listed in WHM are just the standard shared hosting accounts.

I just read in the WHMPHP blog that they do not have the capability to export reseller accounts with all sub accounts yet.
I missed that one, but that isn't good. ha ha!
What you might have to do is get access to each reseller account so you can export all of the sub-accounts. It should be doable though.
This might indeed be doable. I'll have to fiddle around with it tomorrow and see if I can gain access to those accounts. As long as I can get into them, I could at least try to do backups or something to get the files transferred. What worries me the most though, is that email/settings/etc. are probably going to be completely lost, I assume.

Oy! This is turning out to be quite fun. :D

Hi Bryan,

Actually cPanel backups are very complete. Email and settings should all be backed up, especially since he does not have SSH access I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Good luck!

Thanks Dan,

I'll see if I can back up the individual accounts by attempting to log on to their cPanels, and I suppose just doing a full backup on each one. I'll give that a try in a couple minutes and let you know it turns out.

Thanks!

Morning Bryan,

No you will need their passwords in order to access their accounts.

So WHMPHP sounds pretty cool but this is a PITA! LOL

Just to update you Dan, and everyone else in case somebody comes across this problem:

The fix was actually relatively simple. In WHMPHP, I had to transfer the ownership of all accounts (including reseller accounts) to the main account owner. This in turn made the accounts appear in cPanel.

From there, I was able to do a standard cPanel move to this server. The problem was that not having the account holders' passwords, meant that they were all reset (to my root password?) when they were transferred. Just a small headache.

After they were transferred here, appropriate reseller permissions were set up (under reseller center), and I mass-owned the accounts to their respective owners. The only issue there is being sure to write down who belongs to who before you start changing permissions. :)

Other than that, went over pretty well with limited headache. I was pleasantly surprised.