Migrating from DA to CPanel. . .How To?

Carbo

Hello all,
I am seriously considering switching from my current host to KnownHost. The one issue I see is that means migrating from DirectAdmin to CPanel. Now, this might not be a big deal for some here. But I know nothing about this.
So my question is can this be done and, if so, how? Can a complete n00b and non-techie like myself do this? Or do I need to find some assistance somewhere, somehow?
Thank you.

Migrating through different Control panels isn't done by knownhost support, but they will help you through the whole process.

If only Database and Files are important to migrate then there will not be a big problem. (except if you have hundreds of databases ;))

Mashahood, thanks for the reply.
I understand that KnownHost won't make the move for me. What I don't know is how to do the move myself. Is there a "how-to" guide of some type available? I have no knowledge of this otherwise, and I am desperate to make the switch from my current host, (they're awful), to KnownHost, (who I read is terrific).
I have two domains. One is not yet complete and is not active at all. The other, my primary site, is small except for my forums, (IPB), which has around 3,500 members and 30,000 posts. So I assume there are all sorts of files and databases that need to be migrated. :confused:

Hello Carbo,

Knownhost provides the DirectAdmin control panel too, you do not have to move to CPanel...

I did a little looking around and it looks to me that converting will mean creating the accounts, copying the files, databases, and emails over. And with CPanel using maildir you'll have to upgrade DA to use maildir before moving.

With only two domains and (from the looks of it) one database to move the only sticky problem I would think would be the email. Some SSH experience would make life much easier for you.

Hope that helps

If you dont need to move your emails it would make things alot easier..

1. Save a backup of your current files and a backup of your database.
  2. Disable your forums while the transfer goes on.
  3. Create a new account and a database at KnownHost.
  4. Unzip the backup and upload the files to your account.
  5. Edit the forums config files to match the new database details.
  6. Upload the database backup and use BigDump to import it into the database you made.
  7. Point your domains to KnownHost.

Dan,
I wish it were true. But I'm going with the reseller package KH Pro. Support advised me that DA is not available with it.

Dan,
I wish it were true. But I'm going with the reseller package KH Pro. Support advised me that DA is not available with it.

So why not go with a VPS, get all the performance, flexibility and certainly save a lot of time(migrating and learning a new CP). ;)

Maybe if you e-mail sales, KH will cut ya a good deal ;)

So why not go with a VPS, get all the performance, flexibility and certainly save a lot of time(migrating and learning a new CP). ;)

Maybe if you e-mail sales, KH will cut ya a good deal ;)
Not a bad idea. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow. Thanks.