Migrating domains within WHM

Terry Frazier

I have several WordPress sites and a couple of small static sites (10 total) running on two shared hosting accounts - one standard, one reseller - and I plan to move to a VPS. I have read several threads here on migration and WP optimization so I will not ask the same questions, but I do have some questions regarding post-migration domain structure.

I understand the best migration method is for KH support to do a cPanel transfer, and once complete I can make changes to subdomains, add-on domains etc. My question is:

Once the cPanel migration is complete what is the difficulty of breaking out various add-on/subdomains into their own cPanel accounts, or migrating some cPanel accounts into others as add-on/subdomains? I do not need or wish to give every domain it's own cPanel, but my current grouping structure is not appropriate. Some domains that have a cPanel account don't need one, some that are add-on domains need their own cPanel.

Also, how many cPanel migrations will Support perform (under the standard service arrangement) with the purchase of a new VPS? I plan to purchase a WHM license, so is there a mechanism within WHM for me to perform additional cPanel migrations?

Thanks.
- twf

Once the cPanel migration is complete what is the difficulty of breaking out various add-on/subdomains into their own cPanel accounts, or migrating some cPanel accounts into others as add-on/subdomains? I do not need or wish to give every domain it's own cPanel, but my current grouping structure is not appropriate. Some domains that have a cPanel account don't need one, some that are add-on domains need their own cPanel.

Also, how many cPanel migrations will Support perform (under the standard service arrangement) with the purchase of a new VPS? I plan to purchase a WHM license, so is there a mechanism within WHM for me to perform additional cPanel migrations?

Glad to see you're interested in KnownHost :)

Moving an addon domain to it's own cPanel account is a very manual process. It requires dumping/restoring the database, manually moving over any emails after re-creating any corresponding accounts, as well as manually moving over files. Most of this is done much easier through SSH than say FTP. There's a feature request with cPanel to create a tool to do this but nothing has come of it yet: http://features.cpanel.net/response...s-so-that-i-can-easily-split-accounts-with-ex

As far as the number of migrations we'll do - there's no limit. There's a very good transfer tool within WHM that you'll have full access to for any transfers you wish to do. This is the same tool that we use when migrating cPanel accounts and it works very well.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Thank you very much for the speedy and informative response. That's the answer I expected but now I can plan accordingly for it.

I saw some recent posts noting that I could/should request mod_pagespeed be installed and that my account be uncapped for best WP performance. If this is still true, should I request mod_pagespeed at the time of purchase, or does it matter?

Thank you.

Thank you very much for the speedy and informative response. That's the answer I expected but now I can plan accordingly for it.

I saw some recent posts noting that I could/should request mod_pagespeed be installed and that my account be uncapped for best WP performance. If this is still true, should I request mod_pagespeed at the time of purchase, or does it matter?

Thank you.

Hey Terry,

Welcome! Either is fine, however it'd be best to open a Support Department ticket requesting the mod_pagespeed installation after you've actually ordered and received your VPS login information.

Thank you.

David's info is correct, though I don't really recommend mod_pagespeed. You'd see much more benefit from something like ZendOpcache or APC. mod_pagespeed has always been kinda "meh" in my opinion.

Thank you both. Optimization is not my forte. I will "run it stock" for a while and see what I think, then look further into appropriate optimizations.

- twf