Making the Switch to Known Host NOW

WildBlueRoad

After some heavy serious thought and consideration over the past couple of months I have decided to make the switch.

I just ordered and paid for my VPS. Now to get everything moved over from the water lizard mess!

Well, I will be needing a lot of sites moved over. I just realized that I forgot to select a data center. Not sure what to do about that or which one would be best for me

Where do most of your visitors come from? That's the most important thing when determining location. If most of your traffic is from the US then central (Dallas, TX) would be best. I *believe* your order defaulted to the West Coast. Simply open up a ticket with sales and we can have this swapped around for you before your VPS is deployed if you want to change it.

Hello WildBlueRoad!

I made the switch away from the "water lizard mess" a little over a month ago now. I'm very satisfied so far.

Can I ask,... was there another major outage? If so, that makes me even happier that I made the switch.

There hasnt been a significant outage on any of my sites. I have been mulling over the notion of switching to KH for awhile now and just finally made the choice. Actually, I have wanted away from HG for a long time and have spent energy on researching and reading trying to find something that might be better. Then maybe 2 months ago I found KH through HG's own community forum. So in effect HG sent me here y'all.

I have been working with support on this pretty much nonstop for several hours. I had 45 websites on my VPS so it was a task to get everything in order but support folks kept at it and communication was fast.

Add me to the list of gator defectors! I was with them for 3.5 years, a reseller package selling hosting on to my website clients. It started off great, even the tech support was pretty good to be honest, but then just over a year ago I noticed the support wait times got astrinomically high (and the quality dropped markedly too).

But the clincher for me was a recent change they made to how they handle the user's process limit. They limit reseller accounts to 25 processes, which was a real problem for me as I use about 8 IMAP email accounts and at least one of my clients uses about 4 also. This meant between just the two of us, iphone, ipad and laptop each, that would put the entire account over the process limit and result in 500 errors on almost all the websites, every page request.

I did some digging around and setup a cron job to kill the IMAP processes every 5 mins, and that seemed to do the trick. I also setup a logging script to check for 500 errors and load averages and log it all to mysql on a bluehost account that I have. before my fix the loads were in double figures almost constanty with 500 errors happening a lot. After the fix, the load went down to less than 1 most of the time, and 500 errors were rare.

Recently they changed the kernel on all shared servers, and I could no longer see active processes, let alone kill them and the 500 errors and high loads came back.

I opened a ticket and they they could change to another kernal but it would require a reboot. Well by that point I had already been considering a VPS for a while, and I stumbled upon KH and decided to take the plunge. Before the migration was finished HG changed the kernal and the high load issue disappeared, but it was too little too late.

I'm now settled into my KH VPS and the load averages are looking nice and low, very stable and the only outage in almost 3 weeks was entirely my fault.

sorry that was a bit of a rant on, but maybe it will help other frustrated HG users trying to deal with the process limit there.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of gator defectors! I was with them for 3.5 years, a reseller package selling hosting on to my website clients. It started off great, even the tech support was pretty good to be honest, but then just over a year ago I noticed the support wait times got astrinomically high.

But the clincher for me was a recent change they made to how they handle the user's process limit. They limit reseller accounts to 25 processes, which was a real problem for me as I use about 8 IMAP email accounts and at least one of my clients uses about 4 also. This meant between just the two of us, iphone, ipad and laptop each, that would put the entire account over the process limit and result in 500 errors on almost all the websites, every page request.

I did some digging around and setup a cron job to kill the IMAP processes every 5 mins, and that seemed to do the trick. I also setup a logging script to check for 500 errors and load averages and log it all to mysql on a bluehost account that I have. before my fix the loads were in double figures almost constanty with 500 errors happening a lot. After the fix, the load went down to less than 1 most of the time, and 500 errors were rare.

Recently they changed the kernel on all shared servers, and I could no longer see active processes, let alone kill them and the 500 errors and high loads came back.

I opened a ticket and they they could change to another kernal but it would require a reboot. Well by that point I had already been considering a VPS for a while, and I stumbled upon KH and decided to take the plunge. Before the migration was finished HG changed the kernal and the high load issue disappeared, but it was too little too late.

I'm now settled into my KH VPS and the load averages are looking nice and low, very stable and the only outage in almost 3 weeks was entirely my fault.

sorry that was a bit of a rant on, but maybe it will help other frustrated HG users trying to deal with the process limit there.

This is what we like to hear :) Welcome to your new home!

Add me to the list of gator defectors! I was with them for 3.5 years, a reseller package selling hosting on to my website clients. It started off great, even the tech support was pretty good to be honest, but then just over a year ago I noticed the support wait times got astrinomically high (and the quality dropped markedly too).
[...]
@adev

No need to apologize for the 'rant'. Love to hear it! ;) Welcome to the KH family!