Looking to move to KH for vBulletin website

alfie.

Hello
Our website is currently hosted with Nimbus Hosting. They are a great host. They fully manage our server above & beyond, and their support is just wonderful. However, since their servers are based in the UK, and over 70% of our member base is located in the US (including myself), I am looking for another host to propose to the rest of our team, and I think I may have found it. However, I have a few questions:

Q: At NH, they optimized our MySQL for us on multiple occasions when we felt our site needed it. Do you guys do the same here when asked?

Q: Our forum is a vBulletin forum, and is very heavy on MySQL. Not only that, but we also have about 100 concurrent users online (not counting guests) every day. On weekends, it bumps up to 100-150. In the summer, over 150, sometimes 200 (and it will DEFINITELY be higher when we are having our posting contest in the month of June). Can we ensure that your speeds are faster than the ones we are getting? You can view our website here.

Q: Our server is based in UK, as I've said. I was thinking if we did go with you guys, we'd choose the data center in Texas (as it's in the middle of the US). Is that the best choice, or should we go with CA/NJ? Or are they all the same? We do have some members in UK/Europe areas, so it can't be too bad for them, henceforth I thought Texas was a great choice.

Q: We would probably purchase VPS-3 for our website, as it's in our budget. Do you think we would need LiteSpeed for our site, as it is all PHP/MySQL? I have heard LiteSpeed can sometimes speed up a PHP based site from 1x to 6x.. and we've always used Apache. However, NH says LiteSpeed wouldn't speed us up at all.

Many thanks, I hope you can answer all questions efficiently and persuade us to try out your host! :)

-alfie.
ToonTown Nation's Head Tech Administrator

Hello
Our website is currently hosted with Nimbus Hosting. They are a great host. They fully manage our server above & beyond, and their support is just wonderful. However, since their servers are based in the UK, and over 70% of our member base is located in the US (including myself), I am looking for another host to propose to the rest of our team, and I think I may have found it. However, I have a few questions:

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost :)

Q: At NH, they optimized our MySQL for us on multiple occasions when we felt our site needed it. Do you guys do the same here when asked?
We sure will!

Q: Our forum is a vBulletin forum, and is very heavy on MySQL. Not only that, but we also have about 100 concurrent users online (not counting guests) every day. On weekends, it bumps up to 100-150. In the summer, over 150, sometimes 200 (and it will DEFINITELY be higher when we are having our posting contest in the month of June). Can we ensure that your speeds are faster than the ones we are getting? You can view our website here.
Without knowing exactly what's running in the back-end, or the hardware it's running on, it's very difficult to answer questions like this. Ours servers run very efficiently, are not overloaded, and are on fast hardware. We have many folks who run large forums without any issues whatsoever.

Q: Our server is based in UK, as I've said. I was thinking if we did go with you guys, we'd choose the data center in Texas (as it's in the middle of the US). Is that the best choice, or should we go with CA/NJ? Or are they all the same? We do have some members in UK/Europe areas, so it can't be too bad for them, henceforth I thought Texas was a great choice.
Texas is a good choice if you want good connection to all of the US, while still maintaining a decent connection to the UK/EU. NJ would give you the best connection to Europe, while the West Coast would suffer some compared to a server in TX, for example.

Q: We would probably purchase VPS-3 for our website, as it's in our budget. Do you think we would need LiteSpeed for our site, as it is all PHP/MySQL? I have heard LiteSpeed can sometimes speed up a PHP based site from 1x to 6x.. and we've always used Apache. However, NH says LiteSpeed wouldn't speed us up at all.
Litespeed will generally offer a reasonable performance boost to a site. I've had good experience with them and it's a stable product.

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost :)

We sure will!

That's great news. I am bad when it comes to optimizing MySQL. :)
Without knowing exactly what's running in the back-end, or the hardware it's running on, it's very difficult to answer questions like this. Ours servers run very efficiently, are not overloaded, and are on fast hardware. We have many folks who run large forums without any issues whatsoever.
Oh, okay! Is there anything I can do to tell you about our backend (e.g. run a command in SSH?). I know we have 4 cores that are 2.13GHz or something of the equiv. We have 3GB of RAM. 40GB Disk Space. 250GB Bandwidth? We pay about $138 per 3 months.
Texas is a good choice if you want good connection to all of the US, while still maintaining a decent connection to the UK/EU. NJ would give you the best connection to Europe, while the West Coast would suffer some compared to a server in TX, for example.
Yes, that is what I'm aiming for. A good connection across the whole US, while still not bad speeds for UK and EU. :) I figured NJ would be best to give UK/EU faster speeds, but then people in CA would suffer. So, I think Texas is the best. :D Thanks.
Litespeed will generally offer a reasonable performance boost to a site. I've had good experience with them and it's a stable product.

Oh, cool. I guess we will go without LiteSpeed first and see if we even need the performance boost.

I have another question.

Our Database is over 300MB in size. How would I import that into the server? Most imports through PhpMyadmin time out or the file size is a limit of 50 MB or so. I could split the files into 6 different ones or so, but I'd rather see if there's another way I can import the whole file (or if you will do it for me if I give you the database). I would need it done within an hour. :)

Many thanks for answering my questions, by the way!

Oh, okay! Is there anything I can do to tell you about our backend (e.g. run a command in SSH?). I know we have 4 cores that are 2.13GHz or something of the equiv. We have 3GB of RAM. 40GB Disk Space. 250GB Bandwidth? We pay about $138 per 3 months.

I'd say go for a VPS-4, or check out our new SSD packages. If you're looking at SSD I'd say SSD-2 or SSD-3.

Yes, that is what I'm aiming for. A good connection across the whole US, while still not bad speeds for UK and EU. :) I figured NJ would be best to give UK/EU faster speeds, but then people in CA would suffer. So, I think Texas is the best. :D Thanks.

Oh, cool. I guess we will go without LiteSpeed first and see if we even need the performance boost.
Yep, go for TX and try straight Apache.

Our Database is over 300MB in size. How would I import that into the server? Most imports through PhpMyadmin time out or the file size is a limit of 50 MB or so. I could split the files into 6 different ones or so, but I'd rather see if there's another way I can import the whole file (or if you will do it for me if I give you the database). I would need it done within an hour. :)

Many thanks for answering my questions, by the way!

Easiest thing would be to upload it, and let us know where the file is located and the database you want it imported to, then we can import it through SSH :)

Be careful about Litespeed. They have content restrictions on what content is allowed to use their hosting technologies.

Hello

Many thanks, I hope you can answer all questions efficiently and persuade us to try out your host! :)

-alfie.
ToonTown Nation's Head Tech Administrator
Hey,

Did you move yet to KH? I just want to know how is they server is running?

Let me know, because I need to need move to KH too.

Thanks
Tom