LiteSpeed webserver VPS not able to enable caching?

HostedNoob

I just found out tonight that while I have LiteSpeed on my server it is not 2 CPU licensed version. So I cannot enable any sort of caching. What version is installed on these servers and is it possible to get the 2 CPU license instead from KnownHost?

We provide VPSs with either a VPS license or an Ultra VPS license depending upon the amount of RAM the VPS has. We do not issue any *-CPU licenses so unfortunately we can't do this.

Have you considered running APC with Litespeed? I don't know that Litespeed's cache can really offer anything better than the many free and open source cache options that are out there.

I've noticed there is now a XenForo add-on to take advantage of the LS cache, so I think there is likely something there.

Should you ever decide to start offering the 2-CPU license at the same price, I'll happily take one and give it a test for you. ;)

We'll probably be able to offer more licensing options in the future once we have some things in place that will allow us to better manage them.

For those wondering about this exchange, Jonathon has been helping me with getting LiteSpeed installed and configured, over the last day or two.

And, if you are wondering about whether or not LiteSpeed is a good move, let me help you. Go submit a ticket to Sales and add it, right away. I am now seeing page speeds at least twice as fast as they were, prior to the LiteSpeed install. If you are looking for a lot of bang for your buck, LiteSpeed will certainly leave you smiling.

I am currently using LiteSpeed and yes I was going to install the XenForo plugin last night, until I saw caching is not a feature of my License. Not really KnownHosts fault at all. I should have researched it more, but I am still very disappointed. LiteSpeed does seem fast, but not having the built in caching is a big blow.

I am currently using LiteSpeed and yes I was going to install the XenForo plugin last night, until I saw caching is not a feature of my License. Not really KnownHosts fault at all. I should have researched it more, but I am still very disappointed. LiteSpeed does seem fast, but not having the built in caching is a big blow.

The 2-CPU licenses from Litespeed direct start at around $46/mo so it's a pretty heft investment for a caching plugin over the normal $14 VPS license.

Just out of curiosity it is possible for me to cancel my $20 a month I am paying to Knownhost for Litespeed license and just get a license direct through LiteSpeed if I ever decide to do that? LiteSpeed 2CPU is supported for VPS?

I'm trying to decide on Litespeed also. May I ask Mike54 and HostedNoob (and Jonathan) which PHP suEXEC setup you are using?
suEXEC Worke, suEXEC Daemon Mode, or suEXEC ProcessGroup?

I was reading about the differences between the three, and it seems that suEXEC Daemon Mode or suEXEC ProcessGroup are the likely choices to use. But if I understand correctly, both suEXEC Daemon Mode and suEXEC ProcessGroup use the LiteSpeed opcode cache, and not APC, correct? Or can either of these modes be used with APC?

I am trying to understand how the suEXEC Daemon Mode and suEXEC ProcessGroup setups would work with APC... (since we don't have an option for the 2 CPU license version of LiteSpeed) (I probably would not want it anyway, as the $46/mo cost is too steep).

Thanks

suEXEC is enabled within LiteSpeed, which to my understanding is the suEXEC Daemon, as I do not require a per-user configuration of php.ini.

But LiteSpeed still takes advantage of APC and is even recommended for use, as you can see here.

Whilst compiling PHP from within LiteSpeed, you are presented with a page of options for the install and using APC as an add-on module (or xCache, or eAccelerator, for that matter) is as simple as ticking the appropriate box on the set-up menu, as you can see here.

And, as you will see in Post #9, you do have an option for a 2-CPU license, by simply working directly with LiteSpeed. I am like you, I find the fee for that license to be rather prohibitive, at least at this time. But I can certainly see why someone with tapped out server resources would consider the license a real bargain.

Hi Mike54,

I had read here, that LiteSpeed installs with the default as Worker mode (see "What is suEXEC Worker mode?").
Anyway, Daemon mode would probably work for me also, as I don't think I need per-user php.ini configuration either.

Thank you for the link to the APC page on the LiteSpeed page. It is good information. For some reason, I had thought that LiteSpeed had it's OWN flavor of opcode caching. But it appears that APC is recommended, and I prefer APC over the other alternatives out there.

Did you have any 'gotchas' when you installed and configured LiteSpeed that might be helpful to know?

Thanks!

About the only snag I had were getting my head wrapped around XenForo's directory permissions and getting suEXEC enabled to accommodate them. The only other piece of advice would be to make sure your seat belt is properly fastened, because the performance boost is incredible.

About the only snag I had were getting my head wrapped around XenForo's directory permissions and getting suEXEC enabled to accommodate them. The only other piece of advice would be to make sure your seat belt is properly fastened, because the performance boost is incredible.

755 for directories and 644 for files ;)

The only other piece of advice would be to make sure your seat belt is properly fastened, because the performance boost is incredible.

That sounds very promising. I'm on a pretty fast config now, and wonder how it will compare to my current setup, if I pull the trigger on LiteSpeed. Right now I have this cPanel add on plugin - http://nginxcp.com/ - as a reverse proxy, and using DSO(mod_php) with mod_ruid2, and APC for opcode cache. It's a pretty darn quick, but I'm a web speed freak, and am always looking for something faster. :)

And LiteSpeed looks to be more secure than my current set up. LiteSpeed has really raised the bar with their last couple of releases. Nginx has nothing on them now, it seems.

Thanks for the info!

755 for directories and 644 for files
But, but, but... ;)

I think Jonathon was ready to retire before I could finally understand what was happening and what was necessary. I was going to carve "755 for directories and 644 for files" into my forearm, but since they won't let me have anything sharper than these crayons...

But, but, but... ;)

I think Jonathon was ready to retire before I could finally understand what was happening and what was necessary. I was going to carve "755 for directories and 644 for files" into my forearm, but since they won't let me have anything sharper than these crayons...

I'm a looooong way from retirement, Mike ;)