lfd on host.yourdomain.com: RELAY Alert for 111.69.139.68 (US/United States)

Discussion in 'Linux VPS/Dedicated - General' started by juliereader, Feb 20, 2015.

1. juliereader

juliereader New Member

I am getting hundreds of these errors in my inbox everyday.

Time: Thu Feb 19 23:09:28 2015 -0500
    Type: RELAY, Remote IP - 111.69.139.68 (US/United States/mx55.h.outbound.createsend.com)
    Count: 101 emails relayed
    Blocked: No

Sample of the first 10 emails:

2015-02-19 23:02:56 1YOenn-0002bF-RJ <= JustCarInsurance-ihhtydl1jizlkhtp1y@cmail1.com H=mx55.h.outbound.createsend.com [204.75.142.55]:35593 P=esmtp S=50023 id=cm.150013.ihhtydl.jizlkhtp.y@cmail1.com T="Just Car News: Reel Deal Winners, Latest from Mighty Car Mods, ADGP and more" for houlding86@domain.com

do anyone knows what is it?

2. KH-FreddieA

KH-FreddieA Technical Support Operator Staff Member

We've addressed this in a ticket. Lots of email from that hostname.

3. Dan

Dan Moderator

@KH-FreddieA It would be helpful not only to @juliereader but to the rest of us as well to actually say what happened here.

To my knowledge a cPanel installation does not allow relaying and yet, obviously, someone was using her VPS to do exactly that.

If I were to guess I would say that the spammers hacked an email address password and then used it to maximum effect at her cost. But that's just a guess.

4. KH-AmosH

KH-AmosH Quality Assurance Manager Staff Member

This is not outgoing spam being relayed through the VPS. This is incoming spam being received by the VPS which caused LFD to trigger a RELAY alert due to the remote IP address '111.69.139.68' sending to over 100 recipients within an hour's time.

If anyone receives this type of alert, please open a ticket so we can take a closer look at the logs.

5. KH-FreddieA

KH-FreddieA Technical Support Operator Staff Member

Sorry for my brevity folks. I was worried about how much I could say in public.

Note the 'RELAY, Remote IP' in the type. This is different than a AUTHRELAY or a LOCALRELAY, both of which indicate a spamming issue.