KnownHost comes through for me again.

marcm

Today I had a bit of a server crisis. My sites were coming to a crawl and pages that normally take half a second to load were taking up to 1 minute. One of my sites is quite busy and this was not pleasing my members at all. Things were looking bad for a number of hours. The server load was way too high.

I called upon KnownHost tech support to look into it for me and they were awesome. They were able to add some config lines to my Apache Config and it immediately resolved the problem. In fact, I think my sites might be even more responsive now.

My sites are very dynamic and use AJAX to update online status and check for new email and chats, etc. This was bogging down Apache big time, especially after one of these scripts was updated to do a few more things, which made it take up more memory and time.

I am a very busy developer, and I wear a lot of hats. I'm not an Apache expert, however. This is one of the reasons I choose KnownHost, because of their tech support / managed solutions. So, thanks a lot KnownHost, job very well done today.

----------

The lines they added to Apache Config were:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 3
MinSpareServers 1
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 1
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 400

I'm posting this to possibly help out someone in the future. Maybe it will help someone and also save KnownHost some time, who knows.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm very relieved today.
[/FONT]