Joomla and KnownHost VPS

jeja7676

This is well known problem about joomla (wordpress) and VPS. I guess any cms would have the same problem.
Cannot change global settings, and joomla scripts do not have files/directories write permissions !!!

KnownHost support offered me to install suphp, but I read that this would downgrade website performances, and I expect to have approx 10k unique visitors daily. Some even say that if I am only user (as I am) than suphp is definitely not a good solution for me not even from the perspective of security (don't fully understand why)

So, how does this story ends?
What should I do?
What if I want to use some memory caching techniques in the future, what about FastCGI ?
Is there an alternative to this?

I think I read somewhere that if you upload files from cpanel (not ftp) files would have approprioate ownership, and this problem would go away...

Any thoughts?

hello jeja7676,

I have multiple Joomla and WP sites running on my vps with suPHP and I am having no problems what so ever. Rather than try to predict the future why don't you give it a try for yourself and judge from that? :)

I changed from DSO to suPHP and have had no issues with Joomla or WordPress. It really isn't that much slower than DSO. I use cache plugins. FCGI might be an option. If you want to update the site from within the admin section and not run into file permission problems, you have to run Apache as a CGI.

Activating suPHP solved my Wordpress problems a few months ago. I haven't looked back since. Given how quite a few of the sites I provide are Wordpress based, it was definitely a good move to make. Site creation and management hasn't been easier.

Today I asked support to change from DSO to suPHP and everything works great. I really can't see ANY difference regarding speed. I guess there are other real time parameters which affect speed a lot more than this one.
Thank you all for the comments

I'm gonna post ssh commands I used to make sure all my files and folders have good permissions for suphp, it might be helpful to some newbie like me :)...

1. find -user 99
2. find -group 99

-- if 1,2 give any results go with 3,4 otherwise skip to 5
3. chown -R 500 *
4. chgrp -R 500 *

5. find -perm 777

-- if 5 gives results execute the next lines

6. find -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
7. find -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;