Java console error when accessing from new knownhost site

tiendetumano

Hi,

I am trying to access the java console available in the new site template.
I am getting an error in IE11 and Firefox, and I am not sure if it is due to my pc or is due to your site.
the error says:
Found unsigned entry resource
https://my.knownhost.com/vendors/sshterm-applet/SSHTermApplet-signed.jar

I updated my java version from 7.86 to the latest available, and tried playing with the local java settings but so far nothing worked.

thanks for any comment about this.

The java console does work, but is quite finicky (as is Java in general). It works perfectly using IcedTeaWeb (Linux package) in Firefox in Archlinux which is what I run. It also works in Firefox on my Windows 7 laptop partition.

I can't offer much in support making it work on your particular system - it's a Java thing not a KnownHost thing. It sounds like your Java security settings might be a bit too strict though.

I use putty instead of the java console. You just copy the connection details into putty and connect.

Thanks guys!,

Problem solved.
As Jonathan mention, the issue was the security level on my pc. I only could get into the console by getting back to an early version of java.
FreddieA sugestion though was the best alternative, Putty make thinks a lot easier.

Thanks again!

Found this thread after having lots of problems with the new web control panel. Same error message as the OP. Tried old and new versions of Java, Safari and Firefox. While I finally was able to bypass the security prompt, Java will simply (and consistently) crash when attempting to load the control panel. What a mess! Has this even been tested on the Mac platform??

"The java console does work, but is quite finicky (as is Java in general)."

This Java control panel does not live up to the Knownhost standard of excellence and I hope they come up with a more elegant solution for customers to better manage their VPS servers.

Found this thread after having lots of problems with the new web control panel. Same error message as the OP. Tried old and new versions of Java, Safari and Firefox. While I finally was able to bypass the security prompt, Java will simply (and consistently) crash when attempting to load the control panel. What a mess! Has this even been tested on the Mac platform??

"The java console does work, but is quite finicky (as is Java in general)."

This Java control panel does not live up to the Knownhost standard of excellence and I hope they come up with a more elegant solution for customers to better manage their VPS servers.

I wish I could say there was something we could do about it. It does work, and it does work quite well, but only if you can get it playing nicely with your version of Java.

If too many people just complain we may have to disable it. Google around the web and you'll see anything using Java is just as quirky and unstable as this is and until a more modern replacement is available (HTML5 consoles are starting to get more stable/mainstream) Java is our only solution for offering "above VPS" console access. This is new and wasn't previously available at all on KnownHost VPSs.

Yeah, it just does not work on the mac platform. Done with it. Though perhaps it's not the Java console I need (I have the Terminal app on Mac for issuing commands). What I miss from the old console is the ability to peruse the file system logs and whatnot via a graphical interface. Any suggestions on how to restore that ability? I can't use an FTP app (ie. CyberDuck), can I?

FileZilla supports SFTP with the root user. I use it on a regular basis to edit system configuration files.

We've not managed to make the Java console work on Mac either for what it's worth. On Linux/Windows it does work properly, however. I can only assume this is related to something funky Macs must do with Java.

FileZilla supports SFTP with the root user. I use it on a regular basis to edit system configuration files.

Thanks for the reply.

I found this related wiki on Knownhost: https://wiki.knownhost.com/software/how-can-i-configure-filezilla-to-upload-files-via-sftp

So my experience up to this point has been working with FTP to transfer to cPanel user accounts. After reading the above tutorial, I was able to figure out how to log into main VPS root using Cyberduck. (I also tried FileZilla, but that awful Windows 95-esque GUI makes my eyes bleed...)

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. Java sucks.

jp001 said:
(I also tried FileZilla, but that awful Windows 95-esque GUI makes my eyes bleed...)

I agree it looks ancient, but it works, and it works very well (better than anything else I've tried).
jp001 said:
P.S. Java sucks.

I always knew that Java had its quirks, but I never knew how quirky it really was until I started working on addons for Minecraft servers. Given its propensity to crash (which exposes security holes), and its susceptibility to DDoS attacks, I'm amazed Java still exists.

node.js has been touted as a replacement for Java by its fanboys, but IMO node.js is a solution desperately in need of problems to solve. I installed node.js and the Parsoid node app on a client's (KH) server because they wanted to use the MediaWiki Visual Editor extension. The node/Parsoid combination could win a Rube Goldberg contest. ;)