Hybrid Servers

DesotoD

I started to open a ticket but I thought the answer might benefit others so I'll put it here since there's no hurry.

Ok, I was just awarded a pretty big contract. (FINALLY!) I will need more space and that are inquiring as to storage also. The larger Hybrid is only 50 more a month but with double the space and double the burst ram. By my best estimate, it would cover their stuff and all the rest of my accounts with growing room. But I have some questions:
1. Would you go the hybrid route or purchase a separate VPS for this one organization?

2. What is the transfer process from a normal VPS to hybrid? Down time? Is the transfer fully supported?

Any advice is welcome.

Hello,

I would be happy to answer your questions. Please see below. Hope this helps.

1. Would you go the hybrid route or purchase a separate VPS for this one organization?

--This is a personal preference really but many do like to have seperate accounts for such projects. The advantage of the Hybrid vs. Multiple VPS's is you manage one VPS so it centralizes things. We see customers do both so it is again a personal preference.

2. What is the transfer process from a normal VPS to hybrid? Down time? Is the transfer fully supported?

--The transfer process has minimal downtime (1-10 min tops). We will do the account migrations for you and treat it like an upgrade basically. So basically it is pretty much pain free.

Thanks,
Joel

I hate the thought of having to change IP's on all the existing accounts . There's always some that take a while to resolve and of course it's on the most impatient customers...............

Thanks Joel, I appreciate your input and have some things to decide. Anyone else with an input(where's my Media Layer buddy?), I'd sure be willing to listen.

Trish,

It really depends on what that one big account will need in terms of cpu, b/w, storage, etc. If it's a dynamic content site that is very resource intensive, etc. you might be better to just go with the larger hybrid, although that's not from experience. I just have a XL VPS here.

Just a side note, I checked whois on your site (have the button installed in my top bar in FF) real quick to see if you were a current KH customer and noticed something that really kind of surprised me. Your location was listed as Khnoc but in Chicago?? So, I checked mine real quick and what do ya know but mine now says Chicago too??? instead of Texas. This is a question for KH, did you guys move the TX accounts to Chicago datacenter or something?

We have no servers in Chicago. I did a whois and don't see what your talking about. Colo4dallas is in Texas. I see no mentioning of Chicago and I checked with some of my colleagues and they didn't either.

Joel

Trish,

It really depends on what that one big account will need in terms of cpu, b/w, storage, etc. If it's a dynamic content site that is very resource intensive, etc. you might be better to just go with the larger hybrid, although that's not from experience. I just have a XL VPS here.

Just a side note, I checked whois on your site (have the button installed in my top bar in FF) real quick to see if you were a current KH customer and noticed something that really kind of surprised me. Your location was listed as Khnoc but in Chicago?? So, I checked mine real quick and what do ya know but mine now says Chicago too??? instead of Texas. This is a question for KH, did you guys move the TX accounts to Chicago datacenter or something?
Yeah, that's what I'm running too and right now, it's fine but I'm looking toward future ya know? It seems my name is spreading fast around locally about the graphic design and when I do a logo/business card, whatever, I also try to snag their web business as well.

My biggest concern is that I'll need the burst for their email. The sites won't be much at all but I know their email gets a workout. They've also asked about backup storage so I'd want another location to backup to.(not all my eggs in the same basket theory) I'm leaning towards just putting them on their own VPS.

Chicago? Interesting. I'm out of the Memphis area so I'm about halfway in between either point but I need to know because I've been telling people Texas.

You are not in Chicago. That is definitely false. We don't have magic up ours sleeves unfortunately.

Joel

There must be something wrong with his tracert because mine has Dallas all over it. I tell customers up front that I rent the VPS because I can't provide the same type service that Y'all can. Besides, we barely have daylight piped into North Mississippi, much less a data center.

Hosting is just a side thing for me anyway. It just makes it more convenient for my customers to have all services in one place.

BTW, the NFLfury is a personal site, it has nothing to do with business........just football!

Does Road Runner broadband even go down there. I have a friend who lives in the same city and he has to have a satellite to get broadband.

We have no servers in Chicago. I did a whois and don't see what your talking about. Colo4dallas is in Texas. I see no mentioning of Chicago and I checked with some of my colleagues and they didn't either.

Joel

Joel,

That's really weird. This is what I got when I did the whois. Maybe it's something funky with my provider but kinda doubt it with something like this:

BTW, just checked my sites and they still say the same thing as nflfury in terms of the IP location. I'm using the whois.sc site for the lookups. I just checked mine last week or so and they were all still saying Khnoc in Texas, so whatever caused the change is something recent.

Attachments

• nflfury-whois.jpg
    nflfury-whois.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, that's what I'm running too and right now, it's fine but I'm looking toward future ya know? It seems my name is spreading fast around locally about the graphic design and when I do a logo/business card, whatever, I also try to snag their web business as well.

My biggest concern is that I'll need the burst for their email. The sites won't be much at all but I know their email gets a workout. They've also asked about backup storage so I'd want another location to backup to.(not all my eggs in the same basket theory) I'm leaning towards just putting them on their own VPS.

Chicago? Interesting. I'm out of the Memphis area so I'm about halfway in between either point but I need to know because I've been telling people Texas.

Yep, that might be the best way to go for you especially since the two together are still more cost effective than the hybrid. Just easier to manage everything from one place with the Hybrid though. Good luck and congratulations on the contract!

BTW, neat site you have there. I'm not really all that into sports except NFL football ;)

Right, dont forget that with the Hybrids their are a lot fewer "VPSes" per node so this is defenetly an important point.

That's really weird. This is what I got when I did the whois. Maybe it's something funky with my provider but kinda doubt it with something like this.

Hmm....

Try nwtools.com (run the express test) and let me know what it says.