How to update perl?

SonicGT

I keep getting emails from cpanel telling me my perl 5.8.7 is too old. It has manual instructions to update it appears, but wondering if there is an easy way in cpanel to get it up to date.

Here is what it tells me to run
perl -MCPAN -e 'autobundle'
cd /root
wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl588installer.tar.gz
tar -zxf perl588installer.tar.gz
cd perl588installer
./install

which im fine with, but if cpanel can do it itself, I'd rather stay consistant with that.

I got this email today too, my first.

The version of perl you are running (v5.8.7) is too old. There are known problems that cannot be worked around with this version of perl. It is HIGHLY recommended that you upgrade to v5.8.8 or later. Any module install failures should be ignored until perl has been upgraded as some modules will not be able to install with this version of perl.

You can ensure that each installed module gets carried over to
the updated Perl build with the use of the "autobundle" CPAN feature.

You can create a bundle of the currently installed modules
by executing the following while logged in via SSH as root:

perl -MCPAN -e 'autobundle'

Once completed, you should see the following output before getting
returned to the shell:

'Wrote bundle file /home/.cpan/Bundle/Snapshot_2007_08_16_00.pm'

Once you've made note of this file name, you can proceed with the update.

On linux based systems, you should be able to update Perl using
the installer provided at layer1.cpanel.net:

cd /root
wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl588installer.tar.gz
tar -zxf perl588installer.tar.gz
cd perl588installer
./install

On FreeBSD based systems, you will need to install Perl from ports.

This will take a few minutes, so take a coffee break and check
the status when you return. Once the update has completed, you
can install all previously installed modules from the CPAN bundle
by executing the following (with the bundle name adjusted to the
name of the bundle generated earlier):

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Snapshot_2007_08_16_00'

This should install each of the modules present in the bundle,
assuming there are no issues during the installation (dependencies,
network, etc).

Once this has completed, execute the following to ensure that all modules
required by cPanel are installed, and restart cPanel:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkperlmodules
/usr/local/cpanel/startup

Most of cPanel is written in Perl so I don't imagine it's going to be able to update the interpreter it requires to run.

well I followed the instructions in the email as listed in post 2, everything seemed to work except when it asked for my path to the apache source files, I couldn't find where they were stored or if they existed, so I just entered q and hit ok, then it continued on. Everything seems to be working and perl -v now shows 5.8.8

Me, too. So, how urgent is this? I'm not planning to install anything new and I'm not comfortable in the shell. Is it something KH will take care of and just hasn't gotten to our bank of servers yet?
I've only been on VPS for about 6 months. Am I going to have to get to know how to upgrade/update software regularly?
I'm an amateur tech-head so it doesn't really scare me. I'd just rather do this in a month when my ecommerce settles down (after the growing season closes).

since this is a cpanel issue support should be able to help you out

however of course it is better to do it yourself so you learn how it works

I updated according to the server alert, and now I'm getting continuous server alerts saying a module has failed:

This module is required by cPanel, and the system may not function correctly until it is installed, and functional. Below is the results of the auto-install attempt:
Test Run
==============
IO::Compress::Base version 2.006 required--this is only version 2.005 at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/RawDeflate.pm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/RawDeflate.pm line 10.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/Gzip.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/Gzip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 13.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 13.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at - line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at - line 1.

Installer Run
==============
Fetching CPAN timestamp...Done
Testing connection speed...(this could take a while)...Done
Ping:2.898 Testing connection speed to cpan.belfry.net using pureperl...(157450.00 bytes/s)...Done
Ping:2.435 Testing connection speed to cpan.glines.org using pureperl...(156550.00 bytes/s)...Done
Three usable mirrors located
Mirror Check passed for cpan.belfry.net (/index.html)
Unknown config variable 'less'
commit: wrote '/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN/Config.pm'
CPAN: File::HomeDir loaded ok (v0.66)
CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.16)
Going to read /home/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:36:41 GMT
Running install for module 'Archive::Zip'
Running make for A/AD/ADAMK/Archive-Zip-1.20.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::SHA loaded ok (v5.45)
Checksum for /home/.cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AD/ADAMK/Archive-Zip-1.20.tar.gz ok
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok (v2.001)
Can't locate object method "new" via package "IO::Uncompress::Gunzip" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 140.
My advice is to let KH support handle the update by issuing a support ticket.

Sounds like somebody either forgot a dependency in their build/update script or a download was interrupted at some point.

I updated according to the server alert, and now I'm getting continuous server alerts saying a module has failed:

This module is required by cPanel, and the system may not function correctly until it is installed, and functional. Below is the results of the auto-install attempt:​

Test Run​

==============​

IO::Compress::Base version 2.006 required--this is only version 2.005 at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/RawDeflate.pm line 10.​

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/RawDeflate.pm line 10.​

Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/Gzip.pm line 11.​

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/Gzip.pm line 11.​

Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 13.​

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 13.​

Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.​

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.​

Compilation failed in require at - line 1.​

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at - line 1.​

Installer Run​

==============​

Fetching CPAN timestamp...Done​

Testing connection speed...(this could take a while)...Done​

Ping:2.898 Testing connection speed to cpan.belfry.net using pureperl...(157450.00 bytes/s)...Done​

Ping:2.435 Testing connection speed to cpan.glines.org using pureperl...(156550.00 bytes/s)...Done​

Three usable mirrors located​

Mirror Check passed for cpan.belfry.net (/index.html)​

Unknown config variable 'less'​

commit: wrote '/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN/Config.pm'​

CPAN: File::HomeDir loaded ok (v0.66)​

CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.16)​

Going to read /home/.cpan/Metadata​

Database was generated on Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:36:41 GMT​

Running install for module 'Archive::Zip'​

Running make for A/AD/ADAMK/Archive-Zip-1.20.tar.gz​

CPAN: Digest::SHA loaded ok (v5.45)​

Checksum for /home/.cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AD/ADAMK/Archive-Zip-1.20.tar.gz ok​

CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok (v2.001)​

Can't locate object method "new" via package "IO::Uncompress::Gunzip" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 140.​
My advice is to let KH support handle the update by issuing a support ticket.

I am getting the same warnings with perl modules gzip and gunzip.

I am getting the same warnings with perl modules gzip and gunzip.
There's a sticky regarding this problem here in our forum.

I let this problem sit overnight to see if it came up again and it didn't so thought it was fixed. I'm going to run this now to be sure though.

I followed some of the suggestions and fix's over at the cpanel forums

Did this to update compression modules

Code:
wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/IO-Compress-Base-2.006.tar.gz
tar xfzv IO-Compress-Base-2.006.tar.gz
cd IO-Compress-Base-2.006
perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

Then ran /usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkperlmodules

and I seem to be running fine now

Well I always like to try and learn these things but have hit a problem :(

I've followed the instructions above, and it seems that the update has installed correctly. When I check the Perl version from within SSH it correctly shows the version as being V5.8.8.

However when I log into a cpanel, it still shows V5.8.7, Arghhhhhhhhh

I've spent three hours on this now, rebooting and googling for solutions but it just aint happening!. Everything else seems okay though, at least its still online!

*Hits head against Wall*

Well I always like to try and learn these things but have hit a problem :(

I've followed the instructions above, and it seems that the update has installed correctly. When I check the Perl version from within SSH it correctly shows the version as being V5.8.8.

However when I log into a cpanel, it still shows V5.8.7, Arghhhhhhhhh

I've spent three hours on this now, rebooting and googling for solutions but it just aint happening!. Everything else seems okay though, at least its still online!

*Hits head against Wall*

It's probably just cached somewhere.

5.8.8 showing up as 5.8.7 in cPanel

I had the same problem. Updated perl to 5.8.8, but cPanel still showed 5.8.7. I found the fix in this post,
forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=64738

It looks like ther versions are cached for some reason. I just deleted the cached file(s) and the new version showed up in cPanel.

rm -f /home/*/.cpanel-datastore/_usr_bin_perl_-v
rm -f /home/*/.cpanel/datastore/_usr_bin_perl_-v

Notice the 2 different file locations. My files were in .cpanel/datastore. I think the .cpanel-datastore was the old location.

Yes the data that is displayed there is cached and will refresh after an amount of time.

You can check it using perl -V and the info shown in CPanel will sort itself in a bit.