How to backup your VPS

NEO

Hi KH Fellas,

I want to know how do you guys take backup of your VPS? (i.e. what method you use and how frequent do you take backups?)

Also, I wanted to ask for your suggestions and a bit help in my scenario.

Consider I have VPS4 with cPanel and I use it for hosting clients. (Shared hosting) I want to do daily and weekly backups of all accounts to another VPS/Server/FTP Space. I can set it up using cPanel backup method but that's not gonna be efficient way to do it. 1) It will cause huge bw usage, 2) it will be a resource intensive job (running tar) 3) default cP incremental backup is for local storage only.

I looked into having R1Soft but I am told this can't work on virtuozzo based VPSs.

So, what could be cost (and resource) efficient way to backup accounts on daily basis?

PS. My skill set is "intermediate"
Will highly appreciate your response :)

Thanks

Use rsync as opposed to the cPanel backup. Pretty much every off-site backup service in existence supports rsync.

Hi Neo,

You are absolutely right the CP backup is very resource intensive. Sometimes in the morning (8:00-9:00 my time) my VPS is very sluggish and my gut tells me that it is because someone else on the same node is running their backups at that time.

To be honest though I do still use it myself because I like knowing I can completely restore everything for an account with it, you really can't beat that. I however only run them once a week which I upload to Amazon's S3 and I do not do incrementals.

Just letting you know what I do and it would be appreciated if you let us know what you settle on as I am sure everyone asks the 'how should I address backups' question :)

I have setup automatic SSH login through shared keys, then ssh in every morning and download the nightly backup. I then compress the 30 odd individual .tar.gz files into one complete daily tar. Every week a tar of the dailies, and every month a tar of the weeklies.

Overkill maybe but having too many backups is not a crime!

Scott
chilliwebhosting.com

hi

new here...

i though the VPS's were backed up by Unknownhost, am i missing something.
i just got a VPS myself, how do i access these backups.

thanks
Bill

hi

new here...

i though the VPS's were backed up by Unknownhost, am i missing something.
i just got a VPS myself, how do i access these backups.

thanks
Bill

Yes they do provide backups, but its always good to have your own backups too :cool: Better safe then sorry.

You can ask the support for the backups if required (I maybe wrong here, but once when i wanted to rollback after a botched up updated by me. I just opened a support ticket)

KnownHost performs backups that only their techs have access to. They will restore the entire container to a point in time. You should provide your own backups in case you want to restore individual files or accounts instead of the entire container.

How do I setup Rsync provided by bqbackup for my VPS on Known Host?

Buy a package from bqbackup. Once paid and verified, you will get a set of instructions and your login details. If you are comfortable with shell commands you can do it on your own. If not just open a support ticket with KH, provide them the details and they will set it up for you. You may change your password once your rsync is properly setup :cool:

Cpanel Backup with S3

Hi Neo,

You are absolutely right the CP backup is very resource intensive. Sometimes in the morning (8:00-9:00 my time) my VPS is very sluggish and my gut tells me that it is because someone else on the same node is running their backups at that time.

To be honest though I do still use it myself because I like knowing I can completely restore everything for an account with it, you really can't beat that. I however only run them once a week which I upload to Amazon's S3 and I do not do incrementals.

Just letting you know what I do and it would be appreciated if you let us know what you settle on as I am sure everyone asks the 'how should I address backups' question :)

Hi Dan,

I am interested in this implementation. Do you mind share this with me?

Hello joshuayip,

You can find it in the tutorials section here.

Keep in mind you have to sign up for S3 with Amazon.

It has been a while since that tutorial was written so if you run into any problems or something that should be changed please let me know in that post :)

from my old scenario, I'd mounting NFS disk to store backup with default cPanel backup style, but unfortunately KH VPS not support for NFS :D

alternatively you can use rsync snapshot styled backup, http://rsnapshot.org/