How Do You Monitor Services?

NeilHerbert

YummyHost
This morning I woke up to find my server had had a 10 hour downtime because HTTPD failed. This is a big problem, specially for a webhost! I'm wondering if theres any scripts out there that can help internally monitor running services and restart any that fail? All the ones I've come across just don't seem up for the job. :( I'm really interested to know how everybody else keeps an eye on their services and that?

Neil

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear about that.

Which control panel do you use?

I currently use Plesk and included in plesk is a module called Watchdog and although its not perfect(there are several false alarms) it has caught times when a service has gone down and it goes ahead and restarts it.

Regards,

I'm using cPanel, cPanel is suposedly meant to do all that, monitor services and restart them if they fail but it doesn't seem to. I've used watchdog in the past but must have misunderstood it's purpose. I thought it was only to reboot the server if it crashes rather than indavidual services? I might have a look at that. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Neil,

In WHM go to Main >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager and make sure the box Monitor for the service is checked. By default so far as I know it is enabled for httpd though...

Neil,

In WHM go to Main >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager and make sure the box Monitor for the service is checked. By default so far as I know it is enabled for httpd though...

great tip, thanks.

I checked mine and only 'named' was set to Monitor.

Have now added httpd and mysql.

lol I feel a bit stupid now, figured out the problem. godaddy... I needn't say more tbh lol but I will. The domain I registered with them last week was going to replace the domain i had been using for my vps. I registered the domain and reconfigured the server and got everyone to
switch their nameservers over to the new domain. This morning godaddy decided to delete my account and domain with no reason. Thus causing the problem. Wasn't anything to do with the server. (Thanks to Eugene on support for helping to figure this one out)

Problem is all sorted now, re-registered with a different registrar.

Whoops

(Thanks to Eugene on support for helping to figure this one out)

Yeah Euegene is one of the finest support technicians I have ever seen. He is amazing problem solver and very patient and honest.

lol I feel a bit stupid now, figured out the problem. godaddy... I needn't say more tbh lol but I will. The domain I registered with them last week was going to replace the domain i had been using for my vps. I registered the domain and reconfigured the server and got everyone to
switch their nameservers over to the new domain. This morning godaddy decided to delete my account and domain with no reason. Thus causing the problem. Wasn't anything to do with the server. (Thanks to Eugene on support for helping to figure this one out)

Problem is all sorted now, re-registered with a different registrar.

Whoops

Glad its all sorted out.