How can I stop others pinging my site

cookie

Alien
Hi

I know in my old host it was not possible to ping my site or clinets site
when I asked them why they told me because of security
How can I disable pinging in my vps and all my future clients

Thanks

I did not install anything, Just moved in I though basic things will be installed

How to make sure it is installed?

I did not install anything, Just moved in I though basic things will be installed

How to make sure it is installed?

/etc/apf/conf.apf

If the apf directory exists then it means apf is installed. However, if you've just moved in and haven't configured your server, it won't be there because it's not there by default.

There is also the firewall at http://www.configserver.com which is pretty good which will do the same thing.

I know configserver has a specific option to disable incoming pings, so that would do the job for you.

Thanks for the response NO the directory is not there
but I have some thing called firewall in my vps set up on normal mod.

Thanks for the response NO the directory is not there
but I have some thing called firewall in my vps set up on normal mod.

You mean under the virtuozzo panel? I don't pay much attention to that. I've used configserver for a while now and I don't think you can go past it. Either way, it's basically a MUST do, either APF or configserver, just make sure you use one of them.

Thanks every body My problem is that I know nothing about programing and have no idea how to install it, I search in google and saw some explanation but so hard for me to understand I scrared I might ruin every thing :eek:

Any body can help me at least configure my vps so that I can take a rest at least for a while becuase I am dead tired for the last two weeks moving thing over here

Thanks every body My problem is that I know nothing about programing and have no idea how to install it, I search in google and saw some explanation but so hard for me to understand I scrared I might ruin every thing :eek:

Any body can help me at least configure my vps so that I can take a rest at least for a while becuase I am dead tired for the last two weeks moving thing over here

There are numerous places that will configure a VPS for you, with prices ranging from $30 - $100. This is usually a one off fee and it will set you up with correctly working firewalls, spam filters, apache settings etc.

I won't post any links here because I'm not sure that KH would consider it appropriate, but the google search button (or cpanel.net forums) would be your friend in this instance !

Pete

Internetbrother,

KH support should be able to install APF(the firewall) for you. Just submit a ticket for it.

Otherwise, you can PM me if you need help.

،Thanks a lot, They already installed all necessary softwares for me in no time , Best guys but I did not want be rude and ask them to configure it for me too so as to disable pinging.

I have it but can any body explain how to disable pinging?

Thanks a bunch.

Here is a post about installing and configuring APF into a CPanel server that's in the Cpanel how HOWTOs and Tutorials. It does not have how to disable ping yet but I have requested that it be added. I will copy and paste it here for you as well.

In #6 you will find this:

Below that is Common ICMP (inbound) types 'internals/icmp.types' for type definition; 'all' is wildcard for any change the line below to read: IG_ICMP_TYPES="0,3,5,8,11,30"

PORT DESCRIPTIONS
0 Echo Reply
3 Destination Unreachable
5 Destination Unreachable
8 Echo
11 Time Exceeded
30 Traceroute

To disable Pinging to your server remove 0 and 8 from the IG_ICMP_TYPES line.

To disable Traceroute to your server remove 30 from the IG_ICMP_TYPES line.

Hope that helps

sorry but I do not know where are all those codes to modify them
and I heard something about nano with it seems to be editor
I downloaded it in my computer but do not know how to install that either
You know what I feel I know nothing and I do not know where to start LOL

Take a look at the walk through that I linked. It's a step by step tutorial and you will want to start at #6 since you already have APF installed. You will probably want to ignore the end of it too as I would assume it is already configured to start up.

I think you should seriously consider accepting the previous suggestion of paying someone to administer your server for you. Why are people pinging it in the first place?

sorry but I do not know where are all those codes to modify them
and I heard something about nano with it seems to be editor
I downloaded it in my computer but do not know how to install that either
You know what I feel I know nothing and I do not know where to start LOL
Do you know how to use SSH?
simply login your account through SSH and type
Code:
# iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -j DROP
and then push "ENTER" of your keyboard. :cool:

Do you know how to use SSH?
simply login your account through SSH and type
Code:
# iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -j DROP
and then push "ENTER" of your keyboard. :cool:

Wouldn't APF override that when he next updates his APF config?

Somebody asked why I am concered about pinging
We I wanted to ask you realy because almost all hosting companies
I was with had disabled pinging I asked them why and they just keept
telling me it is a part of securtiy
so thought it might be some thing nesseccary that all of them empasise that

So why do they do that any wal I got more curious now;)

I imagine one reason for doing it would be because they offer cheap shared hosting and cater to teenagers who run all kinds of stupid videogame related garbage on the server and all their little schoolyard friends ping the thing to death, either as part of the game or in order to disrupt the game after they get banned from it and want to teach the world a lesson.

ICMP attacks used to be popular a long time ago, but I thought the world had moved on to bigger and better DDoS revenge techniques. Maybe not.