How can I cancel my known host membership?

cpbincorporated

I bought hosting for a site I wanted to start, but never actually put a site up. I've been getting charged for 6 months without realizing. How can I cancel my hosting and is their any way I can get a refund since I wasn't using the service anyway? I plan to come back to knownhost in the future as I like their pricing and performance (according to others), but now I'm thinking twice because of the difficulty I'm having to cancel my subscription.

I bought hosting for a site I wanted to start, but never actually put a site up. I've been getting charged for 6 months without realizing. How can I cancel my hosting and is their any way I can get a refund since I wasn't using the service anyway? I plan to come back to knownhost in the future as I like their pricing and performance (according to others), but now I'm thinking twice because of the difficulty I'm having to cancel my subscription.
Howdy,

Cancellation is fairly easy, you need to email billing@knownhost.com , or open a billing ticket via https://support.knownhost.com and our staff will gladly take care of it for you.

As far as a refund goes, I do apologize but the services were provisioned for you to use and space set aside for your usage, so we wouldn't be able to issue a refund for that length of time. Our money back guarantee is for the first 30 days of service for new customers.

If you need anything else our billing department will gladly assist you.

I, and likely most others, wouldn't call cancellation fairly easy if I need to manually send an email to do so. Fairly easy would be a 'CANCEL' button in an easy-to-find place within the account settings user interface, not hidden in some submenus with ambiguous wording like Chegg, but you and I both already know that you likely want to keep it difficult in hopes people won't go through the hassle to cancel and you can increase revenue. The only problem with that is that word gets around online. Before you know it, you end up relegated to the realm of a company like Chegg, which people absolutely hate for their shady business tactics and similar, although surprisingly slightly better, cancellation difficulty than here at Known Host. If there is some other valid reason why customers must cancel manually this way, I'm all ears.

I do agree with you on the refund, as it's my responsibility to keep tabs on what's coming out of my account, so there are no qualms there.

Not having a "cancel" button means KH will never have to deal with someone accidentally canceling an account and then contacting them to recover it, which seems to me to be a wise move.

In my 20+ years of interacting with web hosting companies, the only time I've run across anything like a "cancel" button was for VPS, dedicated, or virtual servers within an account, not the account itself.

In my experience, opening a billing ticket is a typical requirement to having an account closed with a hosting company. I'm a bit surprised they also accept an email.

I would definitely be irked if I forgot about a monthly hosting fee I hadn't used. It's admirable that you're taking it gracefully and not blaming KH.

I once rented a car for six days. Didn't drive it.
Brought it back, but they refused to give me a refund.
This rental company must be a scam!