Hosting questions and considerations

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I'm doing some research from my company and need to know what service would "fit" right based on some requirements, which I'll lay out now.

1. Python Web server (django 1.0) sitting on top of Apache w/ user based login.
2. Backend database of sqlite (for now), and possibly mySql later on.
3. Fast HDD access, RAID preferred
4. Full root access to install whatever else is needed.
5. No port restrictions

I'm new to remote hosting, but we probably wouldn't need this server managed in any way. I'd just like to know that I'll get my IP / login and basically have free reign to install/mess with whatever I want. I'm guessing that's what "full root access" means from your website, right?

Another application that we are looking to serve up remotely is a bug tracking system and our version management system (git, CVS, or some other). What would you have in mind for that kind of system? I'm thinking we'd want it separate from the first box, but that's about all I can come up with.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi,

I'm doing some research from my company and need to know what service would "fit" right based on some requirements, which I'll lay out now.

1. Python Web server (django 1.0) sitting on top of Apache w/ user based login.
2. Backend database of sqlite (for now), and possibly mySql later on.
3. Fast HDD access, RAID preferred
4. Full root access to install whatever else is needed.
5. No port restrictions

I'm new to remote hosting, but we probably wouldn't need this server managed in any way. I'd just like to know that I'll get my IP / login and basically have free reign to install/mess with whatever I want. I'm guessing that's what "full root access" means from your website, right?

Another application that we are looking to serve up remotely is a bug tracking system and our version management system (git, CVS, or some other). What would you have in mind for that kind of system? I'm thinking we'd want it separate from the first box, but that's about all I can come up with.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. If you need root access this means with us you would need a VPS. We do block some ports since we don't allow IRC so if that is a problem please make note of that. RAID 10 is used on all our servers so that isn't a problem as we are big believers in redundancy. Your question about bug tracking, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to recommend one as that isn't something we specialize in but someone on our forum may have some information to provide regarding that. Please let us know if you have any further questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

One thing to add, sure you can install whatever you want as long as it doesn't break our TOS/AUP. We don't allow a few items which we mention there such a game server for example.

Regards,
Joel

follow up

Joel,

Sounds good. I've been a pretty big Ubuntu fan lately, any particular reason you don't offer that and opt for CentOS instead?

I'm actually not even sure that should be a consideration for me, since I'm pretty sure my application would run under CentOS, but I'm being a bit paranoid here.

Hello,

We've considered other OS's but the way we have done it for the past few years has worked quite well and allowed us to continue to provide an excellent service. Adding an OS does add a curve ball to the mix and based on low demand we can't really justify adding Ubuntu. Trust me if people are knocking down our doors asking for it this could change. Hope you understand and hope to see you signup.

Regards,
Joel