Help me devise a plan for personal & professional sites

eJM

enterpriseJM
I am currently being hosted at another company, but I have made the decision to move to KH. In fact, I actually ordered a dedicated server, but on second thought, I'm not sure it's what I need. I know, I should have asked first. Hey, my brain is 67 years old and has a lot of wrinkles. ;)

All of my sites are currently hosted on a Hybrid VPS and all accessed from the same cPanel. I understand this is not an ideal situation. I need to do it right this time.

My domains include an active forum in a home improvement niche. It currently uses an older version of vBulletin, which only works on PHP & MySQL 5.6 or older. But my plan is to convert to a different forum software at a later date (one thing at a time). The site also uses WordPress for articles. This site sends a number of emails out to members every day - topic notifications, subscriptions, etc. I don't do a newsletter. The site also has a low level SSL.

The rest of my domains run WordPress sites, five of them. One is a site I am hosting for a friend who sells products and already has a EV SSL certificate. I would prefer to set that site up with its own IP addresses/nameservers.

Another site is a tourism site with potential, but not much traffic right now. It's a pet project I created to support my community in northern California. One day, I hope to be able to leave it to a local organization, but until then, it might have some income earning potential.

The rest are personal sites. I will eventually get rid of one of them, but the other 2 are a personal blog and a site to show off my photography. My personal blog has a low-level SSL

In the future, I may also take on hosting another website for a local organization, which would need an SSL and it does have aspirations of sending a newsletter to less than 300 members. The newsletter list may grow ,but the population of the whole county is only about 20,000 and less than half of them (much less) are even interested in that organization. So, its needs would be minimal, but still needs it's mail delivered with as few bounces as possible and it needs to have the organization's branding, not MailChimp, et al. This is another pet project, so I am footing the bill so far.

I hope that's enough to go on. I don't know how to organize all this on a server, or if I need to have more than one VPS accounts instead of the dedicated server. The dedicated account I ordered today comes with plenty of space and 8 IP addresses. Unfortunately, I'm pretty clueless about how to organize it and set it all up. That's why I'm asking for your help.

Morning eJM and welcome to KH! :D

You're probably going to get a number of different answers on such a question as everyone does things differently. Me personally I generally put each site into it's own account unless it's related or, sometimes, the same customer who wants another small site.

As to which VPS would be best for you I'd definitely recommend asking KH in either the pre-sales forum or even in a ticket and you should definitely let them know right away that you jumped the gun and want to downgrade. If nothing else bigger is better and with that dedicated server you'd have plenty of room to grow!

Good luck separating out your accounts, that could be a lot of fun!

Reactions: eJM
Thanks for your reply, Dan. I did contact support and am moving forward with the dedi I got. It is too bad that that "number of different answers" didn't materialize. I would have been interested in what others suggested.

I don't think you're that far off base now. Setup each site with it's own cPanel account and you're golden. I think that's what you're implying you have already?

As for forum software, move it to XenForo ;)

Reactions: eJM
Welcome @eJM ,

That's a fairly simple setup and as both Dan and Jonathan suggested each site into it's own account. If you have an important client on your server I'd suggest giving them a dedicated IP so they aren't affected by the other sites if they get blacklisted.

Welcome @eJM ,

That's a fairly simple setup and as both Dan and Jonathan suggested each site into it's own account. If you have an important client on your server I'd suggest giving them a dedicated IP so they aren't affected by the other sites if they get blacklisted.
I only have the host domain set up in its cPanel so far. I've been trying to be very methodical, but it sure seems like it's taking too long for the new nameservers to propagate. I can't access the WHM via the host name:2086 (the IP address works), surf to the website or send/receive email with that domain. It has been over 48 hours since I created the new nameservers and 43 hours since I got the email from KH with login details for my server.

Oh, almost forgot... I read that all of my accounts, even those assigned a dedicated IP, would still be using the IP address assigned to the server to send mail.

Unfortunately it's difficult to help with that without information about your domains, but something is certainly wrong if it's taking that long to propagate. I recommend contacting support and have them look over how your name servers and domains are setup with your registrar.