Google Domains

Namecheap, last week, said something that made me think the backend redesign might not be too far off. Someone inquired about the redesign via Twitter and their response hinted at new products and updates coming in the fall. It's entirely possible that I'm reading too much into it. It's going to be a beauty regardless.

The iOS app is actually surprisingly functional, heh.

Testing a custom domain with Google Domains and I gotta say, I'm not impressed so far. It seems geared toward people just starting out with domains, and not power users. So far, I think I'll be sticking with NameCheap.

Testing a custom domain with Google Domains and I gotta say, I'm not impressed so far. [...] So far, I think I'll be sticking with NameCheap.

Keep in mind, it is invite only and in Beta. That's how Google launches everything and learns from it before public launch.

I've got a few domains on Google Domains now. The biggest reward, or benefit that I've seen thus far is how "quick and seamless" everything has been. Migrating a domain from another registrar in under 24 hours is unheard of. Registering a new domain and having it live in under ~2 minutes is pretty stellar as well.

It seems geared toward people just starting out with domains, and not power users.

I can agree with this and see where you're coming from. The "just starting out piece" for sure, with their "in-your-face" ads for 'Build your web presence with one of our partners'. I don't like seeing that, especially when I'm paying for a service. There should be an option to turn those off.

On the note, 'not for power users', what features or functionality are you missing? Google's KISS attitude, makes for an easily understandable experience, and what many developers/designers are gearing towards. Further, the functionality of DNSSEC and Synthetic Records at the registrar level, is nice.

Currently, I'm with you on not switching from NameCheap, yet. But for me, it's just because I have too many domains and don't want to move them all to a more expensive service.

Currently, I'm with you on not switching from NameCheap, yet. But for me, it's just because I have too many domains and don't want to move them all to a more expensive service.

Transferring domains is such a tedious process when you have more than a few. Between the 60 day rules, auth codes, and the actual transfer process... not enjoyable. Though on the plus side, I've never had to wait more than a single business day, for any registrar, to complete a transfer.

Back to Google Domains: I won't be completely satisfied until I see Google, hopefully, roll out their Material Design concept across their web services. I love Material Design. My one current issue with Google Domains is the boring interface. I actually find it to be lacking in comparison to other Google services. The functionality is there, but I want to see something more appealing to the eye.

Google's WHOIS privacy service is also something I'd like to see modified, though I doubt this will happen and I'm sure it's not at all a priority. In general, I'm not fond of these privacy/protection services that registrars offer to customers. I strongly dislike the fact that my information is being replaced with that of a proxy company based in New Zealand. The same goes for WhoisGuard, in Panama. I hate it with a passion. The only registrar "doing it right" is Dynadot. They keep the owner's name in each WHOIS field while masking other sensitive details. At the very least, I like to see US-based proxy services (Name.com wins a few points for this). Regardless, I no longer use any of them. My information, no hassles.

Keeping in mind that it's "invite-only beta," it's pretty decent. My opinion really hasn't budged, and I'll still keep a domain or two with them to see how things change. I definitely understand where @KH-FreddieA is coming from.

Just tried setting a custom nameserver (BIND on WHM) with A/NS records all in place. No go, gives 'Unknown domain name'. This is frustrating.