Getting started with VPS

Aarem

Hi all,

I've recently signed up for a VPS account. I'm pretty handy with HTML, CSS, and can manage a bit of PHP, JS and a CMS or two. But when it comes to web hosting, I'm totally lost. Am I just stupid, or out of my depth? I have no idea where to start.

With shared hosting, I just get an ftp address, login details, and link to CPanel and I'm away. With this VPS setup I honestly have no clue where to start, and I'm reluctant to trouble Support for every little detail.

Is there a simple startup guide that anyone knows of? I've scoured the WHM and CPanel manuals, but they are not explanatory. Nothing I've looked at provides a perspective for newbies. It's just a forest of acronyms and foreign terminology to me.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful. Otherwise I might just crawl back to my shared hosting accounts in defeat!

Many thanks.

Since you're starting fresh, I suppose I could give a few ideas for you.

The first move should probably be, if there isn't one already set up, create a cPanel account for your domain name via WHM. Make sure to set space, bandwidth, and other option limits where you'd like them (with your limit being whats on your VPS).

With that done, you should be able to just login to the cPanel account for your domain name, and then you'll be back to what you are familiar with!

Hopefully, that will help you get started!

Hello Aarem and welcome to KH :D

You might find the Howto and tutorial forum located in the cPanel forum of interest. In particular this post should be of some help.

And do not be reluctant to contact support as that is what they are for :)

And of course we will help here on the forum however we can too!

Dan, many thanks for your reply and those links. I did end up submitting a ticket and got some helpful replies. I will read through those links you gave in detail, and if I can add any tips from my recent experiences I'll post them back here.

The second link you gave--which starts with the opening sentence "Alright, so you have your new, bright and shiny VPS. What now?"--was just the kind of thing I was looking for!

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it Aarem :)

Oh, and since I did a lot of that from memory if there are additional steps or corrections you come across if you could let me know it would be much appreciated!