Fxp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinat

I have tried to FXP something in from another server, using SmartFTP, but I get that error that says
500 I won't open a connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (only to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Is there a way for me to enable fxp transfers on my account?

Yeah I know it won't be in the account cPanel, but I thought maybe somewhere in either VZZP or WHM?

As far as I can tell from all the readmes, it needs to be enabled in pure-FTPd, but I don't know if I have access to that? I'm totally new to VPS, only just got an account here a couple of weeks ago, so I don't really know my way around yet. Was hoping maybe someone knows. ;)

Yeah I know it won't be in the account cPanel, but I thought maybe somewhere in either VZZP or WHM?

As far as I can tell from all the readmes, it needs to be enabled in pure-FTPd, but I don't know if I have access to that? I'm totally new to VPS, only just got an account here a couple of weeks ago, so I don't really know my way around yet. Was hoping maybe someone knows. ;)

You have access to pretty much everything except your kernel. That's the main point of a VPS account.

Yeah, great, thanks.

If someone can give me some tips about how to enable FXP, I'd be most grateful. I've looked everywhere, can't seem to find it.

The Pure-FTPD documentation I posted earlier contains explicit instructions for enabling FXP (all you do is fire it off with the -w option). It's not always a pleasant thing to hear, but the reality of the situation is that if you truly don't understand them then you probably shouldn't go messing around with anything on a live server you actually care about keeping running.

No, I don't understand that documentation file, it's like chinese to me, I don't know what "fire it off with the -w option" means, I don't know where or how I'm supposed to enter any of those commands listed. I would be glad to learn, if someone would be so kind to explain.
I'm sorry but none of what you said has been helpful at all.

You seem to be after a one-click solution here, and unfortunately, none exists. Given your reactions thus far, I get the impression that additional instructions would only frustrate you further and I believe your most practical options at this point are to either hire someone to configure your server for you, live without FXP, or consider the possibility that a fully managed shared hosting account with less responsibility might be a better fit for you.

I'm sorry but I find this post slightly offensive.

No, I don't know much about running the server, but I'm willing to learn. I don't think you're right to put me down like this.

I don't expect a one click solution, but some kind of head start, initial instructions would be nice. You know, basic stuff, like, do I configure PureFTP-d through SSH? Or somewhere in the Virtuozzo panel? It's basic stuff. I could email the Knownhost support about it, but it's not such a big issue and I don't want to waste their time. I thought maybe someone in the forum here could help.

If you don't want to help, please kindly stop posting in my thread.

Well I can tell you from personal experience that getting snippy and throwing tantrums when people attempt to help you generally doesn't make them feel like dedicating a great deal of time to helping you any further. Maybe I'm simply overestimating the amount of disdain "Yeah, great, thanks" was intended to express, but I have my doubts.

Please, you spent your last 3 posts telling me to give up trying to enable FXP and that you don't want to help me.

I've asked a pretty plain question, which could have been answered 5 times by now with zero effort. I will ask it again: do I configure PureFTP-d through SSH, do I need to locate and edit a configuration file, or can I access this somewhere in one of the control panels?
Would you happen to know?

If you don't know or don't want to tell me, please don't keep coming back to argue and insult me. There's no need for that. I made this thread to learn something new, not to be discouraged from even trying.

You're absolutely right; I lost all interest in helping you pretty quickly. But while we're on the subject of zero effort, how much did you put into reading the first three results that crop up when you search for "FXP" and "cPanel" in Google (hint: the third one's the charm) or asking support if they even allow FXP before you got your dry goods all in a bunch? Sometimes you have to remember something old in order to learn something new.

I didn't google FXP and cPanel because I believed these settings had nothing to do with cPanel. Wasn't that what you initially said?
The results of the googling I did were too confusing and I don't know if these issues are host specific. I figured it would be better to ask here than to take advice from some other hosts' support forums.

So here I am now, asking the question in Known Host's support forums, and what do I get? I get told I should give up on learning how to operate my VPS right now, to google my question and to email the support directly.

Pardon me, but exactly what is this forum supposed to be for, if not for asking general technical questions about account operation which many users could know the answers to?

I find it amazing that I've just spent 2 pages talking to a person who only wants to let me know how little they want to help me.

Really amazing.

I wanted to not be a burden to support and ask the question in the forums informally, but I guess I will indeed have to email them now, as this thread is clearly going nowhere.

Thanks, helpful guy.

No need to keep this thread open any longer.

Tinat, Please submit a ticket with support and if its allowed, I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.