Finally took the plunge....

ppc

From Plesk to cPanel. Could not be happier. :)

I gave up on SWSoft(now Parallels) who just issued false promises re: release dates, configuration cleanups etc. While Plesk has a nicer look to its interface, it is missing a lot of basic features.

I'm glad I'm with a more progressive company, and cult ;)

I really never had anything good to say about cPanel, but I tried all the alternatives for two weeks and switched back immediately. I still hate it, but at the end of the day, it works and I can usually find what's broken when it doesn't.

Hey ppc,

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I'm at a cross roads with Plesk myself. My main beef is the fragility of the entire computer. I feel like I'm taking my server's life into my hands whenever I want to upgrade PHP, MySQL, etc. Heck, upgrading Plesk using it's updater can have negative consequences.

1) Do you feel cPanel is better in this regard?

2) Also, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love for you to expand on why you left Plesk, and why you're staying with cPanel.

Thanks,
fumble

Hey ppc,

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I'm at a cross roads with Plesk myself. My main beef is the fragility of the entire computer. I feel like I'm taking my server's life into my hands whenever I want to upgrade PHP, MySQL, etc. Heck, upgrading Plesk using it's updater can have negative consequences.

1) Do you feel cPanel is better in this regard?

2) Also, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love for you to expand on why you left Plesk, and why you're staying with cPanel.

Thanks,
fumble

1) Yes :)

2) Plesk took months to release even the most critical security updates. Substantial updates which I would dare to say would include more helpful functionality were always delayed and too far and few between. In general, I always felt Plesk was just a side project for Parallels...cPanel has much greater advanced functionality specifically for the web host "operator" but also for the end-user client as well.

It definitely is a little learning curve but completely worth it!

Regards,

Although you can't get support directly from c-panel, you can join their forum and one thing I would suggest is that you sign up for their email list as c-panel is VERY good at informing subscribers about problems detected.

I'm wondering something, did they ever fix all those spelling/grammar errors yet? I don't know why, that just irks me a bit.

Probably just a left-over reaction from all those "Gordon Rule" courses I had to take at college. :)

Yes you can. I've done it ;)

Sorry my bad, what's the secret? Every time I have tried in the past they kept referring me back to the hosting provider for them to submit the support request. Unless they've changed their policies recently? I can usually find what I need to on their forum 99% of the time. Nice to know as I'll be back here shortly (just waiting on the USPS for my clams to arrive.)

Although I am looking forward to getting stuff moved back to KH, I am not looking forward to the actual process since the current location doesn't use Plesk or C-panel so there is no way to auto-migrate the accounts over to KH, which means that I'll have to do everything manually [ouch!].

Sorry my bad, what's the secret? Every time I have tried in the past they kept referring me back to the hosting provider for them to submit the support request. Unless they've changed their policies recently? I can usually find what I need to on their forum 99% of the time. Nice to know as I'll be back here shortly (just waiting on the USPS for my clams to arrive.)

I PM'd you ;)

Thanks for the response ppc!

Just to be perfectly clear on point #1:
You're saying that upgrading ancillary programs/systems of the OS (like PHP, MySQL, etc.) is easier to do under cPanel than Plesk? In a perfect world, I can just
Code:
yum update php
and be on my way. Do I need to tiptoe around cPanel or handle it with kid gloves?

Thanks,
fumble

Could you break down the migration process? Did you have two packages at the same time and slowly migrated everything over? There is no real 'upgrade' from plesk to cpanel correct?

Just did the migration as if you were switching hosts?

Thanks!

Thanks again ppc! I really appreciate your time.

bdmorrison: I contacted KH support about migrating from Plesk to cPanel and they said it's a manual affair. In other words, one must purchase another VPS with cPanel and manually, one by one, move sites over by simply reinputing their info into cPanel and transferring files and databases over manually. If like me you're hoping for an automated tool and/or KH being able to assist in the migration, no such luck :(

-fumble

Could you break down the migration process? Did you have two packages at the same time and slowly migrated everything over? There is no real 'upgrade' from plesk to cpanel correct?

Just did the migration as if you were switching hosts?

Thanks!

WHM has a transfer utility built-in now. You'll find their tools under Transfers. Have seen people on the cPanel forums using them successfully although the latest versions of Plesk could be a problem. Still worth a try I would think.