FFMPEG Need Help Configuring

derrickhand300

New Member
Hello
I joined Knownhost a few weeks ago after trying my site on MANY other VPS. I have been happy with the speed of my server and the quality of support-but we have been stuck on a video converting issue now for over a week and support cannot come up with a fix

My site is a social network that allows members to upload videos which are then converted ( to I assume flv) and posted on the website

My KnownHost server cannot handle the conversions with the current configuration and they cannot seem to solve the configuration problem

I have used a number of other VPS hosts and this worked right out of the box- they include Arvixe-Rose Hosting-Linode and a few others.

I dont know how the others were default configured- I just know the KH configuration is not working.

When I upload a test video to the site it seems to upload fine ( because I can download it in the original format from the website) but when it leaves the person with the message " your video is being converted and will be available in a few moment"...but its NEVER available and never converts...

I use a managed server because I have very little experience managing my own settings and rely solely on support but they do not seem able to resolve this and its going to be a deal breaker for me if I cannot get it working

Does anyone have any advice I can give KH sdupport or have you had a similar issue you were able to resolve?

Thanks for any advice you can give me
 

phpAddict

Active Member
Does it convert small videos? <5MB ? 10MB? 20MB?
Sometimes if there's not enough memory allotted these types of things happen, but you usually would get an error saying so.
Just curious, if this was working with a previous host or two, why all the host jumping?
 

derrickhand300

New Member
We did find last night that it will convert AVI videos but no other formats-settings on the server are 500MB file upload which translates to 128 MB file size on the platform- not sure why the huge difference-on the other platforms 500MB resulted in a 250MB file upload size on the platform

Concerning host jumping
Arvixe 'unlimited bandwidth' was only unlimited until you actually started using it- thyen the emails came saying you had to move to a new plan
Rose Hosting had great support but their servers were way to slow- even an 8GB Ram server..
Linode was fast - but their "managed sucked" and they were way over priced..
there were a few more....but Knownhost on the SSD5 plan blows them away in speed ( my platform has a test tool that shows how well my site will run on any server its installed on so it was easy to compare) Knownhost SSD5 is really smoking fast and my "managed" plan here includes help with pretty much ANYTHING I have asked for including software installs-migrations etc...( linode would not touch anything like this and was $50/month more for a similar plan)

Anyway the ffmpeg conversions worked fine without any particular tweaking on the other servers- except this Knownhost server and so far they cannot figure it out. My support guy on the platform im on sent me 2 logs last night-1 lof is the message we get when a conversion fails on KnownHost

The other log is a test log on another server showing the successful conversion-I will attach them as a notepad file here if you dont mind having a look.
 

Attachments

Dan

Moderator
Hi derrickhand300,

Have you tried changing the bitrate? I have no experience with ffmpeg but a Google search turned it up and I see these in the log:

Failure:
Duration: 00:00:13.50, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1248 kb/s
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 381 kb/s

Successful:
Duration: 00:00:33.07, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 982 kb/s
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 127 kb/s

The configuration isn't even the same between the two, it's not even a level playing field. I would certainly try it with the same configuration.
 

phpAddict

Active Member
I see many differences and with so many different variables between the two logs it makes it difficult to find the exact issue between the two systems.
The OS was Debian and is now Red Hat
The program is two different versions. Was "N-50408-gdc666d3" from 2013 and is now "0.10.15" from 2014
The parameters for the program are very different. There were only 11 parameters set for the program before and there's got to be 30+ set now.

However, one thing is glaring at me: The creation time for the files in the log on KH's server is showing up as the linux epoch 1970-01-01 00:00:00 meaning it appears the software is not reading the time and makes me wonder if and what other things it's incompatible with.
 
Top