Few Questions, mysql user connections etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi,

I'm thinking about switching to a VPS managed setup and I have a few questions.

What is the max number of simultaneous mysql user connections?

Can you add IP addresses later for a fee? Or is two the max?

Is there an easy upgrade path to the more robust VPS plans?

How is PHP installed? Will things such as the GD engine be enabled?
(also Mod-rewrite )

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Please see inline as I have answered your questions. Hope this is helpful.

What is the max number of simultaneous mysql user connections?

--We don't limit this at all. With a VPS you have full root access so can configure things as you please (or ask us for assistance if you buy a control panel with the VPS such as cPanel, Plesk, or Directadmin).

Can you add IP addresses later for a fee? Or is two the max?

--Sure, you can more. We have our own IP's thru ARIN so can definitely provide IP's as you need them. The only thing we ask for if ordering bulk is we have proper domain justification.

Is there an easy upgrade path to the more robust VPS plans?

--Yes, you can upgrade from VPS to VPS or even to the Hybrid server with no downtime.

How is PHP installed? Will things such as the GD engine be enabled?
(also Mod-rewrite )

--PHP comes preinstalled with each VPS plan. If you want GD installed and Mod-rewrite make a note in the order comments and we will take care of it for you.

Thanks,
Joel

Joel, thanks for your quick reply. :)

All sounds good. Pardon my ignorance here but i'm not sure what you mean by:
"The only thing we ask for if ordering bulk is we have proper domain justification."

Couple more questions please.
Will I have SSH access. Can I use SQLyog to connect to my mysql db remotely?

I'm currently on shared hosting, but each site is setup so it appears as a separate account. As opposed to a site in a sub directory. How would multiple sites appear in the VPS plan? Again, pardon my lack of experience here.

Thanks, Marc

Joel, thanks for your quick reply. :)

All sounds good. Pardon my ignorance here but i'm not sure what you mean by:
"The only thing we ask for if ordering bulk is we have proper domain justification."

Couple more questions please.
Will I have SSH access. Can I use SQLyog to connect to my mysql db remotely?

I'm currently on shared hosting, but each site is setup so it appears as a separate account. As opposed to a site in a sub directory. How would multiple sites appear in the VPS plan? Again, pardon my lack of experience here.

Thanks, Marc

Marc,

All I mean is if you email us and say I need 10 IP's for example we would want to have the domain names which require these unique dedicated IP's. Not every single site needs a dedicated IP and ARIN (in charge of all IP's around the world require all hosts to do this so if a customer wants a bunch of IP's we ask for this same information).

Yes, you get full SSH access just like with a dedicated server.

You can setup each site by itself or you can set them up under one WHM Reseller account. This is totally up to you. I do highly recommend cPanel for this.

Thanks,
Joel

Hi thanks again for your reply.

I have just a few more Qs, I hope you don't mind.

How many users are on a VPS server? (say on a VPS Lca plan)

As the plans go up, are their users on a server?

Are you hybrid server plans basically dedicated or are they simply VPS plans with higher resources? How many users are on a hybrid server?

I'm just curious if the amount of 'max' processing time you get on a server goes up with your plans or what? I saw in another post that you can have a max 25% processing time for 90 seconds or something before you get suspended? Is that correct and does it apply to all of your plans.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Hi thanks again for your reply.

I have just a few more Qs, I hope you don't mind.

How many users are on a VPS server? (say on a VPS Lca plan)

As the plans go up, are their users on a server?

Are you hybrid server plans basically dedicated or are they simply VPS plans with higher resources? How many users are on a hybrid server?

I'm just curious if the amount of 'max' processing time you get on a server goes up with your plans or what? I saw in another post that you can have a max 25% processing time for 90 seconds or something before you get suspended? Is that correct and does it apply to all of your plans.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Hello,

Not a problem with the questions. I'm happy we could be of assistance thus far.

The number of users (VPS's) is tough to say but 15-20 is a safe number to say. It really depends on the sales we get for the specific server in question. We base it more off of resources committed as well as keeping a good amount for upgrades as customers grow. With that said, upgrading from plan to plan or say if you add RAM on the side a la carte there is absolutely no downtime which is a plus.

The Hybrid servers we put around 4-7 per server. It is basically a highend VPS with larger CPU share since your splitting the machine with less users. For the price you pay it in many cases will outperform a dedicated server not to mention you have ability to use Enterprise components such as RAID 10, etc which with a dedicated you won't get. RAID 10 brings redundancy to the table so if say one drive goes bad your data remains in tact and service remains up. Definitely a plus.

The CPU question, we do put a 25% cap across the board and it does not increase per VPS or Hybrid. We don't actually cap you at 25% as you can use all the CPU in reality but we do monitor this and if we notice this type of activity we will contact you. I hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks,
Jay

Hi Jay,

Excellent, you've been very helpful. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with you guys. Although it sounds like if I were to get to a point where I did need a dedicated, I'd have to move away from you. Not that I expect that anytime soon, but I'm just thinking long-term, what-if scenario...

Thanks again,
Marc

Hi Jay,

Excellent, you've been very helpful. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with you guys. Although it sounds like if I were to get to a point where I did need a dedicated, I'd have to move away from you. Not that I expect that anytime soon, but I'm just thinking long-term, what-if scenario...

Thanks again,
Marc

Marc,

It happens but not a lot for sure. Our Hybrids have become quite popular when people outgrow our VPS plans. Who knows by the time you reach that point maybe we will have more of a selection. :)

-Jay

Thanks Jay, I signed up for a VPS plan last night. :) Just got the email a couple of hours ago with all of my server info. I look forward to getting started!
-Marc

Thanks Jay, I signed up for a VPS plan last night. :) Just got the email a couple of hours ago with all of my server info. I look forward to getting started!
-Marc

Welcome aboard!!! You're in good hands. ;)

Thanks,
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.