Excessive processes running under user ...

jeja7676

I run joomla site and from time to time, randomly, I receive a warning e-mail in the form below.
Is the problem in memory consumption? Does 21 sec means that a single request which fires up index.php is taking too long to finish? What could be a potential cause of that? In what way does this resolves by itself - I see that no processes were killed.

At the moment I am suspecting at cron deamon which runs every day approximately at about the time I get warnings, but I would need to monitor this situation longer.

Thanks

Time: Fri Apr 1 22:19:38 2011 -0400
Account: 'USER'
Process Count: 13 (Not killed)

Process Information:

User:'USER' PID:28200 Run Time:21(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28201 Run Time:20(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28202 Run Time:20(secs) Memory:33992(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28205 Run Time:19(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28207 Run Time:16(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28225 Run Time:9(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28226 Run Time:8(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28227 Run Time:7(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28228 Run Time:6(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28229 Run Time:6(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28230 Run Time:5(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28231 Run Time:5(secs) Memory:27452(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php
User:'USER' PID:28233 Run Time:2(secs) Memory:32480(kb) exe:/usr/bin/php cmd:/usr/bin/php /home/'USER'/public_html/index.php

Hello jeja7676,

I have no idea why you would need a cron job for a domain's index.php but if that was the intent it should only be running it once not multiple times. And you are getting the errors because it runs multiple times and they take an excessive amount of time to finish which is the 21 seconds you are seeing on the first one.

I just wanted to say that I have noticed the the timing when excessive usage is detected is very close to crone job timing KH preforms each day. But that is not the rule and I guess that my joomla script is not optimized quite well and causing most of the problems.

I have the same error - so how to resolve?

I'm running wordpress. I get this error every morning (thailand time) at the same time. How can I fix it? Cheers...

I am having the same exact problem. But I dont have any Cron Job running under account. Its a wordpress installation.
I am very worried because this shouldnt be happening.

I have see this caused by over aggressive bots hitting the site at the same time to name a few:
YandexBot, AhrefsBot, crawler.sistrix.net and the worst of them all Baiduspider
Look in your latest visitor log and see if the timing of there visit is the same as the error.
I ended up blocking there IP's in CSF problem solved.
If you are interested I will post what I put in my CSF.

It could also be your site has some unwanted/bad code installed.

I had something similar to this happen just the other day!

I contacted Knownhost support to look into it, and they stated their was a spike in traffic to one of the sites.
Because I didn't notice it right away, it was too late to dig into the logs to confirm whether this was a rogue bot or legit traffic; because they had already been rotated (likely, because of all the traffic causing the logs to reach threshold for rotation).

This is the command they used to check (ssh):
Code:
# sh traffic.sh 19/Aug/2013:17:4

Granted, I could have downloaded the log archive and cracked it open, but that'd be more work than it's worth, considering the weirdness didn't persist.

Dave, YandexBot is a legit search engine crawler, but they are a bit intense with their speed. You can limit them in robots.txt:
Code:
User-agent: Yandex
Crawl-Delay: 30
Though their indexing is only useful if you accept Russian traffic, they are one of Russia's biggest search engines.
Same for Baidu, but they are one of China's biggest search engines.

Yep I knew that, I had also spent a month tracking the problem down both Yandex and Baidu were the cause.
I know I can limit there speed and did try also tried to stop them with a robots.txt file and when I found them ignoring it, it was time to block them once they were blocked the problem went away.
I also don't need to be listed in a Russian or China search engine anyway.