Email (exim?) problems

sinister

Hey guys. I am having issues with my e-mails which I have not been able to trace. All the config is standard as it comes with the KH cPanel set up.

After a week, perhaps two or even a month you are unable to download or send e-mails. Thunderbird returns "connection refused" which means to me it could contact the server but it was rejected. Normally it would say "timeout" or something if (for example) it was on the wrong port.

It works fine otherwise, but randomly just stops. The service is still running but I can't download / send e-mails.

I have tried restarting the service via WHM but this doesn't resolve it. I have to reboot the VPS to make it work again.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Hello Sinister,

Have you logged into SSH and looked at the mail logs to see if there is anything in there? They're located in /var/log and there are like 3 that start with exim_ and then also messages may have something in it.

Let us know if you find anything applicable.

while on the subject, I just sent out an email campaign and received these errors amoung others... ???

2008-12-11 14:39:43 Exim configuration error in line 167 of /etc/exim.conf:
user root was not found
exim: could not open panic log - aborting: see message(s) above

Dan, do you think the recent changes you made could have caused this? I submitted a support ticket with knownhost and interspire.

-cj

according to support:

When sending batch of emails together many files are being opened. This can cause an increase in numfile parameter. If the numfile parameter exceeds you will not be able to open shared files. I checked the resource usage of your VPS from Virtuozzo power panel (https://<domain_name>.com:4643/vz/cp)
VZPP (https://<domain_name>.com:4643/vz/cp) >> Logs >> Resource Alerts. It showed that the numfile parameter has exceeded. The numfile parameter controls the number of files opened by all Container processes. Inorder to solve this you can upgrade your VPS resources to increase numfile parameter or else you can split the emails in batches and send them. Please confirm if you want to upgrade your VPS resource, if so you can open a ticket in our sales department.

I suppose this means that I will have to throttle the outgoing mail, or nag Interspire for a solution since their last version/update did not do this.

The numfile controls the number of open files in the VPS. When sending large number of mails together will increase the number of open files in the VPS and that will create fail count for the VPS resource numfile.

You can resolve the issue by sending the mails in separate batches rather sending them all together.

What is the result of

paniclog
Code:
2008-12-11 22:49:30 1LAkyw-0003bb-Hc User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2008-12-11 22:50:45 1LAl08-00054W-TT User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2008-12-11 22:58:24 1LAl7Y-0008TV-O9 User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2008-12-12 01:03:03 1LAn4B-0004CX-NV User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2008-12-12 01:53:32 1LAnr1-0001re-Py User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2008-12-12 01:58:51 1LAnuR-00040g-0m User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list

mainlog there is a lot of this.... not sure what it means? Otherwise looks fine.
Code:
2008-12-12 06:07:36 1LAYeF-0007NQ-Pb == root@host.domain.com <nobody@host.domain.com> R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-52): Retry time not yet reached