Domain question

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I was directed to inquire about this question in the forum from one of the support guy. I currently have a namecheap.com domain that is currently pointed to my current vps. If I purchase a KH vps, I would like to point the domain to the KH VPS of course.

In the past, I had assistance doing this so I'm actually not sure how to do it. I was told a few of the community here has a namecheap domain so if you guys can give me the steps, that would be great.

Do I need to retrieve my domain from my current vps?
What would I need to do to apply it to the KH VPS.

Hello,

I was directed to inquire about this question in the forum from one of the support guy. I currently have a namecheap.com domain that is currently pointed to my current vps. If I purchase a KH vps, I would like to point the domain to the KH VPS of course.

In the past, I had assistance doing this so I'm actually not sure how to do it. I was told a few of the community here has a namecheap domain so if you guys can give me the steps, that would be great.

Do I need to retrieve my domain from my current vps?
What would I need to do to apply it to the KH VPS.

Hello,

It was me you passed a "sales" ticket with. When I mentioned our forum I meant there are VPS clients of ours on our forum using Namecheap for their domain registration needs. All you need to do is register custom nameservers with your nameservers/IP's you get with us. If you have issues I am sure we can assist.

Joel

Thanks Joel,

Ok, sounds easy enough. At the moment do I need to do anything to stop/retrieve my domain from my current host? In namecheaps client area, there is something that says "transfer dns back to us." Not sure if that would apply to anything but I just want to make sure I know what to do once I switch. I would like to get this all setup asap, so sorry for all the questions.

I assume this might take a day or so to complete because if I remember correctly, it took about a day for my domain to point to the vps. So, if I can do this in advance, I'd like to know so I don't have to wait another extra day to get the setup completed.

First, you need to signup for the VPS with us. Then (if you use the same control panel) open a ticket with us to migrate your data for you. Once that is done then you login to Namecheap,com and create the custom nameservers with the new IP's. The only downtime would be from when you adjust your nameservers at Namecheap since that requires DNS propogation. In some places in the world it will update right away other places may take 1-2 days. Regardless though your sites will be resolving to either your old host or the new VPS with us.

Joel

Thanks Joel,

Just to ease my mind a bit, I just want to get it straight. So I wouldn't need to do anything to get the domain to stop pointing to my vps at the moment? I just need to update the info. in namecheap when I receive the new vps information?

You shouldn't change your domain settings until after you order with us and after we migrate your data. Once that is complete then you do need to create or register the custom nameservers with new IP's at Namecheap. We have clients doing this everyday.

Thanks,
Jay

Thanks Jay,

Yes, I understand that much that I need to have the vps and all the details first.

I just need to know if I need to do anything to get the domain to NOT point at my current VPS. I just need to update the information with the new vps ip and nameservers and it'll update to the new VPS; right?

Thanks.

Thanks Jay,

Yes, I understand that much that I need to have the vps and all the details first.

I just need to know if I need to do anything to get the domain to NOT point at my current VPS. I just need to update the information with the new vps ip and nameservers and it'll update to the new VPS; right?

Thanks.

All you need to do is update your domain settings to have the new nameservers/IP's. Once that is done there is nothing else you need to do at your domain registrar. From that point forward the domain will begin pointing to your new VPS with us once DNS propogation has ended.

-Jay

When you need reliable US VPS hosting - trust KnownHost.