Domain name on setup

mixart

When signing up for a new account, I noticed these two options:

1. Transfer My Existing Domain
2. I will use My Existing Domain and update My Nameservers only.

I would like to transfer my existing domain from and move the nameservers to knownhost (option 1) but I don't want this to happen automatically. I will need a few weeks to get my files setup before I "flick the switch". Could you please tell me the general process of this. Should I choose option 2 and make my nameserver changes later on both with knownhost and the current nameserver?

Hello,

Option 1 basically means that you will be moving you domain from your current registrar (this requires you to option an EPP Auth Key from your domain registrar) to KnownHost (Enom is our domain registrar). There is a $8.95/year fee for this transfer. Depending on your current domain registrar this can take anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple days/weeks for them to release your domain. So you may want to choose this option now because we really have no way of knowing how long the domain transfer will take.

The other option means that you will keep your domain with your current registrar and you will just update the nameservers to point to the nameservers we assign you in the welcome email.

If you definitely know you want to move your domain from your current registrar to us then I would suggest to get in contact with them and let them know you are going to be moving your domain and see if they can give you an estimate amount of time it will take. Some registrars lock domains so they can not easily be moved so I would definitely find this out. If for example they tell you that moving the domain is not a problem today but you are not ready to move it yet you can purchase the account you want, choose the option "I will use My Existing Domain and update My Nameservers only" and we can transfer the domain at a later time.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Joel