Do I understand the setup process???

cornersoyo

Hello,

It seems we are about to have an order placed for the VPS XLtx w/cpanel. We discussed with 2 others that the Texas site might be most reliable for throughput, which is more important than bandwidth for us (plus TX pings 55 to us, CA pings 80). I hope we are making sense in using these reasons for choosing Texas?? because we are obviously giving up the 2x bandwidth of CA for this choice.

With that said, I am 100% NEWB with VPS - I have read posts here and tried to understand the process that is to follow. I apologize for what is probably redundant attempt at this, but I am hoping someone might look at the steps I am expecting and tell me if I am in the ballpark?

1) In first page of placing the order it asks for a domain. I'm guessing this would be considered our 'Primary' domain we plan to use on our VPS correct?

2) If you could please tell me if I will be doing this right I would be gratefull:

a) When the signup asks for domain, we enter the domain of the existing site which we want to eventually be the primary on this new VPS, for now we will call www.existingdomain.com, and choose the 'change nameserver later' option.

b) At some point after order is done, we get assigned (2) I.P. numbers

c) We go to Godaddy.com, where we registered "www.existingdomain.com", and choose the option to 'create a host' for existingdomain.com, during which process we enter NS1.existingdomain.com, and then apply the first I.P. number, then add again, entering NS2.existingdomain.com and apply the second I.P. number.

d) At this point our request is submitted, and after propogation, our VPS will eventually have "ns1.existingdomain.com" & "ns2.existingdomain.com" as it's nameservers, where we are to point all domains we want to host.

e) Now, we are hoping at this point that our existing website for www.existingdomain.com is still operating and reachable with our old host still, because it still has the DNS of the old host applied to it.

f) We put our site in a 'Changing Servers' mode to stop usage (this is ok, it is quite new and users know we are doing this) copy the files from www.existingdomain.com to the proper folder(s) on our new VPS using the direct I.P. numbers to access. I'm not clear yet on how this will function/look, but I am hoping we will be able to do this through cpanel, which will allow us to specify the domain name etc.?

g) Once in place, we go back to Godaddy, and change the nameservers for www.existingdomain.com to ns1.existingdomain.com and ns2.existingdomain.com

h) and at some point propogation finalizes and that domain becomes attached to the new VPS.

Is that how it is supposed to work?

I did read some articles within this forum of how to make the transfer happen with little downtime, so maybe I can re-read those and get a better understanding of the process.

I am trying to understand this on my own which is why I have listed the steps vs. simply asking for help - I've tried to understand more compact explanations but sadly my mind doesn't work like it did when I was in my younger years.

Thank you for any thoughts to this...

Cornelius R. Soyo

Cornelius,

I have went thru your questions and answered all of them. Hope this helps.

1) In first page of placing the order it asks for a domain. I'm guessing this would be considered our 'Primary' domain we plan to use on our VPS correct?

--Yes. Option 3 means you will point your domain to your new KH VPS.

2) If you could please tell me if I will be doing this right I would be gratefull:

a) When the signup asks for domain, we enter the domain of the existing site which we want to eventually be the primary on this new VPS, for now we will call www.existingdomain.com, and choose the 'change nameserver later' option.

--You should put a domain there even if you plan to point it to the VPS later. The cPanel license is tied to the hostname which is based off the domain you put in the orderwiz. Just because you put a domain doesn't mean your sites will all of a sudden go live as this relies on you going to your domain registrar and creating the custom nameservers.

b) At some point after order is done, we get assigned (2) I.P. numbers

--Yes, you get 2 free Dedicated IP's with each VPS by default.

c) We go to Godaddy.com, where we registered "www.existingdomain.com", and choose the option to 'create a host' for existingdomain.com, during which process we enter NS1.existingdomain.com, and then apply the first I.P. number, then add again, entering NS2.existingdomain.com and apply the second I.P. number.

--You need to create custom nameservers at Godaddy which they can help you with. This would be something like you mentioned above but there are also IP's that will need to be entered there which you get once you order and get your welcome email.

d) At this point our request is submitted, and after propogation, our VPS will eventually have "ns1.existingdomain.com" & "ns2.existingdomain.com" as it's nameservers, where we are to point all domains we want to host.

e) Now, we are hoping at this point that our existing website for www.existingdomain.com is still operating and reachable with our old host still, because it still has the DNS of the old host applied to it.

--Yes, until you create the nameservers with our IP's associated with them your site(s) will continue to point at your current host.

f) We put our site in a 'Changing Servers' mode to stop usage (this is ok, it is quite new and users know we are doing this) copy the files from www.existingdomain.com to the proper folder(s) on our new VPS using the direct I.P. numbers to access. I'm not clear yet on how this will function/look, but I am hoping we will be able to do this through cpanel, which will allow us to specify the domain name etc.?

--We can migrate all your sites for free with each VPS. If you need more information on this it's best to open a Support ticket so we can assist you better.

g) Once in place, we go back to Godaddy, and change the nameservers for www.existingdomain.com to ns1.existingdomain.com and ns2.existingdomain.com

--Yes

h) and at some point propogation finalizes and that domain becomes attached to the new VPS.

--Yes, but I would definitely consult with our Support team in case you have questions or hit a snag. That's why they are around 24/7.

Is that how it is supposed to work?

--Yes. :)

Regards,
Joel

Hello and thanks for the very fast reply

I will do as you say in contacting support - the strange thing is that the domain we want to put here on the VPS as primary is actually currently an ADD-ON domain on a shared host account - so it's contents are in a sub-directory on that shared host (and we do NOT plan to move the primary domain for that account - just this add-on). I guess we will see how that can go.

As for your responses, the only one that sort of threw me is:

--------------------------------
...e) Now, we are hoping at this point that our existing website for www.existingdomain.com is still operating and reachable with our old host still, because it still has the DNS of the old host applied to it.

--Yes, until you create the nameservers with our IP's associated with them your site(s) will continue to point at your current host.

Your response is making me wonder - just by creating those new nameservers will it cause that domain (the one against which the new namerservers are created) to *immediately* change to those new nameservers? Or will it still remain pointing to the old nameservers (which is sort of what we were hoping)?

Thanks

Hello and thanks for the very fast reply

I will do as you say in contacting support - the strange thing is that the domain we want to put here on the VPS as primary is actually currently an ADD-ON domain on a shared host account - so it's contents are in a sub-directory on that shared host (and we do NOT plan to move the primary domain for that account - just this add-on). I guess we will see how that can go.

As for your responses, the only one that sort of threw me is:

...e) Now, we are hoping at this point that our existing website for www.existingdomain.com is still operating and reachable with our old host still, because it still has the DNS of the old host applied to it.

Your response is making me wonder - just by creating those new nameservers will it cause that domain (the one against which the new namerservers are created) to *immediately* change to those new nameservers? Or will it still remain pointing to the old nameservers (which is sort of what we were hoping)?

Thanks

The only way the domain will point to us is if you point the domain in question to the IP's we give you (will be in your welcome email). You can use a site preview option to see the sites once they are migrated over before you even adjust the DNS. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Joel