Did not receive nightly Cron Deamon cPanel email

jameshurrell

I usually receive an email every night from "Cron Deamon" informing me of the updates that were done overnight to cPanel.

Last night, for the first time, I did not receive that email. It's not in a spam trap either.

Everything seems to be running OK on the host, websites up, WHM up etc... but I'm wondering why I didn't get that email... is there a log I can check somewhere to see what's going on?

Many thanks.

Hi jameshurrell,

Odds are that there is a daily update log file somewhere but I do not know where it is myself. I've seen the same thing you just did through multiple hosts over the years (including on my current VPS as well of course) and it just seems to be an occasional bug with cPanel. You'll start seeing them again after a day or two...or maybe three :) but they will start back up.

The daily cPanel update logs should be in the following directory:
/var/cpanel/updatelogs
The filenames are in the format update.xxxxxxxxxx.log.

There should be a few files listed from previous updates. Check the file timestamps to view the latest one.

Also, check WHM -> Mail Queue to see if the message is stuck in the queue for some reason.

Just curious! I see these Cron Daemon emails on a daily bases and wonder what aspects of it I should watch? It’s just a bunch of gibberish to me, but I would like to educate myself as to it’s meaning and relevance since I utilize cPanel. Any general explanation and info as to what the meaning this email has for the average VPS customer with a bit of curiosity?

Just curious! I see these Cron Daemon emails on a daily bases and wonder what aspects of it I should watch? It’s just a bunch of gibberish to me, but I would like to educate myself as to it’s meaning and relevance since I utilize cPanel. Any general explanation and info as to what the meaning this email has for the average VPS customer with a bit of curiosity?

Hi WRMercier,

The log that jamesshurrell was referring to is the nightly /scripts/upcp log that gets emailed when cPanel checks for updates and installs them. Depending on your selections this will include updates to cPanel and/or the OS on your server. And that is what the content of this email will inform you of, what it installed and whether or not it had any errors or problems.

Hope that answers your question

Hi WRMercier,

The log that jamesshurrell was referring to is the nightly /scripts/upcp log that gets emailed when cPanel checks for updates and installs them. Depending on your selections this will include updates to cPanel and/or the OS on your server. And that is what the content of this email will inform you of, what it installed and whether or not it had any errors or problems.

Hope that answers your question
Thanks Dan! You are the man as usual.:eek:

Thanks all. The mail returned last night and has dropped in to my inbox tonight. Nothing in the Mail Queue, so can only assume it was a minor blip.

Thanks again for your insight! :)

I'm wondering where the preference settings are for this nightly email. I wonder if I could only be notified if there are problems, or change the notification email address, or opt out completely?