dedicated server, pleeeaaasee...

U

Unregistered

I want to come back to KH, I miss your support and reliability but I need a dedicated server.

Any way to get me one?

Thanks

Hello,

Unfortunately we do not offer dedicated servers but we did introduce a new larger VPS Triple X. Maybe this will fit your needs?

Regards,
Joel

Maybe I missed the explanation earlier, but I'm curious... Why doesn't KnownHost offer dedicated servers? What would be the difference between those and VPS solutions in terms of what KH would need to do?

I too would like to see KH test out the idea of dedicated servers in the future sometime because they are a reliable and pleasant group of folks to do business with.

But they probably know that selling and supporting VPSs works for them, so they are sticking with what has brought them so much success thus far.

Maybe I missed the explanation earlier, but I'm curious... Why doesn't KnownHost offer dedicated servers? What would be the difference between those and VPS solutions in terms of what KH would need to do?

I dont know but I sure wish they started to offer them.

Hello,

We buy all our hardware and colocate our servers unlike many hosts out there who are simply leasing and reselling servers for providers like Layeredtech.com or Softlayer.com. We will not use that business model as it doesn't allow you to really have a grasp of your own company. With that said we need to plan for such offerings like dedicated servers with colocation space, etc and that isn't a simple process. We are focusing on VPS's currently and plan to offer new things larger then what we have currently but this hasn't been agreed on internally just yet.

So it isn't that we don't want to but things have higher priority at the moment. One thing I know we won't be doing is entering the entry level dedicated server market at $100/mo. The service we provide isn't comparable to that sub market. ;)

Joel

So just to make sure I understand this...

You don't do dedicated servers because it would involve a much higher number of servers to manage, plan for, and the like?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the world around me. :)

So just to make sure I understand this...

You don't do dedicated servers because it would involve a much higher number of servers to manage, plan for, and the like?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the world around me. :)

It's because, when you offer dedicateds, in order to have good pricing from your supplier, you need to buy in bulk. If you have a few clients who cancel within their first month, you're left with space you got from the DC, along with hardware not being used. It's much higher risk than VPS systems.

Funny, I was just thinking of this the other day about Knownhost. I love it here and the support is out of this world. I know someday however, I will need a dedicated server and X my fingers by then KH has some to offer. Now mind you, because i find KH's support and personal touch to it's clients valuable, I'd be willing to buy another VPS for additional space when I will require it.......just to stay and wait for dedi :)

Just wanted to add to the list of people who would jump at a dedi with you guys the minute they become avaiable.

Howdy,

This may sound like a ridiculous noob question, but would it be possible to have several vps in kind of a load balancing situation. That seems like it would, if possible, provide the same benefits of dedicated server while staying in-house

If you can develop all these VPS's to work together then sure. :) We don't offer this but this doesn't mean someone hasn't done it or isn't trying to do it.

Regards,
Joel

If you can develop all these VPS's to work together then sure. :) We don't offer this but this doesn't mean someone hasn't done it or isn't trying to do it.

Regards,
Joel

To expand on that, it can be done. MySQL 5 supports replication in a much simpler fashion than in MySQL 4, and you can easily setup databases to be replicated between the two VPSes.

next, you can use rsync or unison (google for both, and check freshmeat.net search) to sync your general data.

I haven't done this in a production environment yet, but once I start doing so I will probably post a tutorial up. It requires some experience with Linux (especially with *nix shell in general), but a tutorial should help. :)

You can use pound to load balance requests -- http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

E-mail accounts and such, I would probably recommend outsourcing that to a company such as www.dnsmadeeasy.com. Using them for your DNS would be helpful too, as they provide very good performance and redundancy :)

HTH,

We do plan to rollout some hybrid servers but this isn't finalized yet. They will be Virtuozzo based allowing smooth upgrades from say your current VPS but they will be on seperate servers. Regular dedicated's are in the plans at this time.

Thanks,
Joel

Caleb,

Sorry, that was my mistake. Regular dedicated's are not in the plans at this time.

Thanks,
Joel

We do plan to rollout some hybrid servers but this isn't finalized yet.

Hi Joel,

Thats great news! Can you elaborate on what you mean by hybrid servers? Could you give a rough approx on pricing($50, $70, $120???)

Also when is the earliest possible time I could get one? :)

Thanks!

ppc