Dedicated IP address setup

joeyluu

I signed up for the VPS with 2 IPs.
I set up the IPs to ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com
The first ip is used for shared hosting and runs smoothly.

I tried to create a new account and need this to have a dedicated IP. When I try to create the new account, it states:
Account Creation Status: failed (Unable to find an ip address )
Unable to find an ip address

Currently no accounts are assigned to the second IP. Should I be able to use the second IP address as a dedicated IP or is that being used for something else?

A dedicated IP can only be used for that domain. Your second IP is being used for your second nameserver so you'll need to contact KH and get another IP#.

Both your IPs are in use as one goes to ns1.mysite.com and the other to ns2.mysite.com.

If you only need one account on your server to be dedicated you can re-arange the accounts so that when you go to the IP you will go to the account you want, instead of whichever account was created first. You will have to move the virtual hosts around in httpd.conf.

I've always wondered why KH only provides 2 IP addresses with their plans. It seems that most getting a VPS would need those 2 for name servers and at least 1 other for hosting sites. I manage accounts with another provider as well and it seems that most I have seen provide 3 or 4. Just always seemed odd since KH provides such a great value on the other aspects of their offerings. Even the Hybrid Servers only have 2 IP's :confused:

Would be great if you guys would consider offering 3 or 4 per account as standard.

I've always wondered why KH only provides 2 IP addresses with their plans. It seems that most getting a VPS would need those 2 for name servers and at least 1 other for hosting sites. I manage accounts with another provider as well and it seems that most I have seen provide 3 or 4. Just always seemed odd since KH provides such a great value on the other aspects of their offerings. Even the Hybrid Servers only have 2 IP's :confused:

Would be great if you guys would consider offering 3 or 4 per account as standard.
yes, same thought here....

This isn't completely true. I haven't ever had a host provide me with more than 2 IP#s. And you can host virtually an unlimited number of domains on the shared IPs that you are provided.

The only reason I've run across that I needed a designated IP for a domain is because they want SSL.

They do this now because IP#s are not unlimited, there are only so many of them and when you want an additional one you have to supply them with the reason why because they have to tell their suppliers why and so on and so forth.

I've always seen 3 or 4 offered as well, and this might be something for the Suggestions Forum.

They're not unlimited, no, but you just have to be able to justify their use (though I've personally never been asked by ANY host or datacenter). For a webhost, it's easy, one IP for each nameserver, and one for the main website (for SSL etc.). That's 3 that could most certainly be justified, and really should be provided, IMO.

This isn't completely true. I haven't ever had a host provide me with more than 2 IP#s. And you can host virtually an unlimited number of domains on the shared IPs that you are provided.

The only reason I've run across that I needed a designated IP for a domain is because they want SSL.

They do this now because IP#s are not unlimited, there are only so many of them and when you want an additional one you have to supply them with the reason why because they have to tell their suppliers why and so on and so forth.

Hi Dan,

It is completely true based on my experiences, yet it may not be based on yours. I see others here feel the same way so I'll put this over in the Suggestions area.